25 - New Subjects

I got pushed down on my knees next to dozens of other kids. Guards scanned our necks, calling out some names to an ugly man I remembered seeing in my memories.

A man moved my hair to the side and scanned my neck as I noticed Minho and Newt tensing up, but not getting in action.

"A10." The man called out.

And that drew the other man's attention. A grin appeared on his face, lips twitching up in a smile. "Still alive I see?" He grinned and motioned for me to get up, which I did.

"Jane." He shook his head in disappointment when I stood in front of him. "The spy." Then he kneed me in the stomach.

I groaned and bent down in pain, seeing Minho and Newt scream, but guards stopped them from attacking the man.

"Put her back." The man ordered. I shivered when once again, a guard touched me and pushed me back down next to the Gladers again.

"Who's that?" I whispered to them.

"Rat Man."

"Janson."

"Janson, aka Rat Man." Minho eventually replied.

"Where's Thomas?" Janson then asked, looking around suspiciously.

"Right here." My head snapped toward Thomas who appeared with his hands in the air.
A guard grabbed him and pushed him toward Janson, who still grinned.

"Thomas." He put his hands on the boy's shoulders and kneed him in the stomach too.

"Hey!" We screamed, but we got held down.

"Get him in line."

Thomas got put down next to Minho, whose breaths were a bit heavy.

"Why didn't you run?"

(I didn't shuck you yet. (Bloopers)

Thomas swallowed. "I'm tired of running."

A woman I recognized as Ava Paige walked out of a Berg, toward Janson. Just like always, she was dressed in white and her blonde hair was tied together.

She told Janson something, which he nodded with. Guards started picking people up and taking them to the Berg, while we just sat and waited, though I knew we had to do something.

"Hello, Thomas." Ava walked over to us while we got up too. Then Teresa, who I wished to jus that, stepped next to Ava.

"I'm glad you're safe." She softly told Teresa.

"What the hell?" Minho muttered.

"Teresa?"

"Wait, what's going on?"

Thomas sighed. "She's with them." He knew it too.

"Since when?"

"Teresa's always had an evolved appreciation of the greater good," Janson spoke, smiling at Teresa. "Once we restored her memories, it was only a matter of time."

Teresa had tears in her eyes.
"I'm sorry."

"Maybe you shouldn't have betrayed us then." I blurted out, angry as hell.

"I had no choice. This is the only way." Teresa shook her head. "We have to find a cure."

"She's right," Ava added. "This is all just a means to an end. You used to understand that, Thomas. No matter what you think of me... I am not a monster. I'm a doctor."

Almost I said she was lying, but didn't.
"I swore an oath to find a cure! No matter the cost. I just need more time."

"More blood." Someone from behind us added.

"Hello, Mary." Ava nodded at her. Mary stood there bravely. "I hoped we'd meet again. I'm sorry it had to be under these circumstances."

"I'm sorry about a lot of things, too," Mary said. "But not this. At least my conscience is clear."

"So is mine."

I flinched when a gunshot went off, not knowing who got shot for a second, but then saw Mary fall onto the ground, blood flowing out of her stomach. Vince screamed and took the woman in his arms. Only his expression broke me.

Janson chuckled and put his gun back in his inner pocket. Then I got enough and jumped forward, pushing Janson onto the ground for the things he did to all of us.

He was strong enough to push me off him and crawl on his feet. I took a breath in anger before I felt him pull me up too. Janson turned me around so we both faced the Gladers. I gasped when he wrapped an arm around my neck and pointed his gun at a certain person in the crowd. Newt.

Once the Gladers realized what happened while they were somber about Mary, Minho took a step in front of Newt.

"How brave..." Janson muttered, his grip on me tightening. I let out a cry from all the touch but mostly focused on Newt and Minho.

"Get out of the way, Kid," Janson told Minho, who didn't move an inch. Minho's gaze was cold toward Janson.

Janson sighed and moved his gun up to my head instead of Newt's. "Or it'll be both."

Minho's face dropped for a second and his eyes said enough for me to realize how hard his mind was spinning for a decision. If he stepped aside, only Newt would get killed, if he didn't, Newt and I both would get killed. And he didn't want either of that.

I heard Janson tighten the grip on his gun, but then he got interrupted by someone pushing him, so he had to let go of me. I rushed toward the Gladers, almost falling in Newt's arms, but then stood in front of him too.

"Move, Jane," Newt commanded, but I didn't listen and focused on the person that pushed Janson. Rye.

Janson inspected his face. "And who have we got here?" He looked at his guards. "Scan him."

One guard obeyed and scanned Rye's neck.

"C1." He called out.

My heart skipped a beat, chest tightened. Rye wasn't supposed to have a subject name. Did Cyra also have one?

"What the..." Frypan mumbled.

Minho sniffed, which for me sounded as 'I told you guys he wasn't trustworthy'.

We all stared at Rye in disbelief, who only looked at Janson emotionless.

Janson laughed. "Our troublemaker is back, Ava." He said. "And he made some friends."

Rye balled his fists but didn't do anything besides listen and stare at Janson, whose eyes were twinkling.

"Where's your sister, Rye?" Janson raised his eyebrows. Cyra didn't hesitate to walk over to him bravely, staring at Janson just as coldly.

"No need to scan you, am I right?" He grinned annoyingly again. "Already got kicked out the first day."

Cyra was so small compared to Janson, yet she looked up at him threateningly, bodies just inches away.

"Still got your scar?" She lowered her voice, almost smirking too. At that moment, I wished so badly to know happened between them.

Janson's face darkened. "Take them."

The guards got closer and started dragging people away. When Janson tried to get Cyra, she kicked and tackled him, pulling a gun out and pointing it at anyone who came close.

Confused as hell, I stared at the siblings and wondered what their backstory actually was, but was too busy listening to a vehicle approaching.

The car drove around like crazy and I heard Jorge's familiar laugh of victory come out of it. It bumped into guards and even a helicopter, which caused the wings to fly around. We bent down to the ground, hoping not to get hit by the wood.

Once we got up again, Thomas pulled something out of his pocket. "Everyone, stand back!"

~

A/N: What are your thoughts on Rye and Cyra?