Chapter Five

"The bigger you build the bonfire, the more darkness is revealed." ~ Terence McKenna.

____________________

NEVER in my whole almost nineteen years of life would I ever get sick of looking at bonfires, my obsession with fire happened when I was five and my parents had taken me camping. Most of the night of the get to know each other Bonfire, I watched the small flames lick the sky as it slowly dispersed into thin air, it was mesmerising to watch. You could use your imagination and see animals within the fire; a story could be created in the beautiful ember flames. Something so gorgeous could easily turn and be deadly, my small mind used to imagine the fire flicking and catching the grass below us on fire engulfing us in a fiery death. It was fucked up when I thought about it now but thankfully my obsession died out the older I got.

Penny and I sat on two camping chairs; the same chairs were placed all around the quad where the bonfire party was happening. Avoiding Matt - Mr Price has now become a game, I didn't want to communicate with him in public -or even in private- even if it is an innocent exchange; it lowers the chances of someone figuring out we had slept together once and i also didn't want to talk to him period. It was bad enough his short sentence he spoke to me at the party bought up a fire within in me and i didn't need to be getting all horny and flustered over my professor.

In my hand i held a can of coke, Penny was in a conversation with the person on her right. It seemed to be someone she had met in one of her classes today; the seats next to me were free as mostly everyone was up walking around chatting with each other. I watch the flames grow higher and higher the more Mr Gross my maths teacher throws wood onto it; he is a very nice man. He was around forty years old; he seemed to have a humorous personality with the way he cracked jokes in class this morning. Behind him stood a broken nose Ben, his arms crossed as he spoke to another guy who turned to glance at me. I flip Ben the finger and turn to join in Penny's conversation until i see Mr Price walking in from behind them; I gulp realising Ben was going to recognise him and connect some dots. I hoped he took Mr Price's threat seriously, I assumed he would since how is face currently was covered in fear.

Mr Price seemed to ignore me as he walked over to another teacher, striking up a conversation with ease; it didn't take long for her to sink into the small talk. He seemed to woo most of the faculty as they approached him tapping him on the back, I look over at the fire seeing Ben at the corner of my eye. I look at him as his eyes dart between Mr Price and I a sinister smile forming on his face; I look back at Price who must of seen Ben's look and he excuses himself walking over to him. Ben's face contorts into a worried look. I wish i could hear their conversation but when the hair on the back of my neck stands up usually telling me danger was near by i get distracted looking around for whoever was causing it. The shrill voice that irks me erupts from behind Penny and I.

"Well well well," Delilah says, i hear her sit down next to me followed by who i assumed David as he grunts sitting on the chair next to her.

"If you are here to start shit it's not welcomed," Penny leans forward to look at Delilah.

Delilah laughs, "I'll be quiet."

Without looking at Delilah i look over at Ben who was no longer making any sort of eye contact with me, i frantically search for Price as he had disappeared. I wanted to avoid him but i also wanted to ensure he wasn't going to do anything stupid; during my search i spot David conversing with a group of people his eyes puffy and red. I tilt my head furrowing my eyebrows; as i was about to check the seat next to Delilah, Price comes back into my view and he appeared to be staring at Delilah.

"I would appreciated if you move-," I cut myself off from telling Delilah to move from the seat gulping in fear when the same man who had bruised my face looked right at me; a devious smirk played on his face, "Micheal why are you here."