Chapter Twenty Five

"Scars have a strange power to remind us that our past is real" - Cormac McCarthy

________________

Matt

TWO years ago i saw Zoe for the first time, her hair was down in perfect curls, she wore a red sundress with flowers all over it and she was walking down the street with Penny, Delilah and Randy. I had no idea who they were -besides Randy- i had been doing research on the Greens and i was gaining as much information as i could; meaning Randy's close friends. Her laughter was carried in the wind, the smile on her face could make even a murderer like me smile. After finding out her name i realised who she was the daughter of and that made my curiosity grow, i already knew Myers had a daughter because it was already in the talks of either me seducing her to overthrow her father or us marrying in order to join our two families.

Years ago it was in the talks of me getting married off to Myers child if it was a girl; then when we found out it was a girl they were excited to join our families until mine perished in the fire. So that no longer was held over my head and neither was it on Zoe's because she hadn't a clue what was happening behind her back. I gained Randy's trust and told him i had no interest in his families things as they weren't even close to us on the ladder which was a lie; i was bound to take over every family so no one could fuck with me. So i had to befriend him slowly and soon enough i was invited to his family dinners, Delilah got on my nerves i had already envisioned my plans for her.

Then I met his other friends, Penny was somewhat funny and got on my nerves slightly but i knew she was close friends with Zoe so i put up with her. I met Zoe once while she was at Randy's place hanging out with Delilah and Penny, we had ran into each other in the hall and my words were caught in my throat. She had said excuse me and scurried off quickly into Delilah's room, i knew about her crush on Randy so it was no surprise she didn't give me a second glance.

Finally when i went up to her at the party and spoke to her for the first time in the two years of knowing about her; she was breathtaking and even knowing i would of had to marry her one day i wouldn't complain. Now having got to known her personally, the way she is around me and her friends i knew she was the one instantly. She's perfect in every way and i may have just screwed that up. Zac had made fun of me when he realised i was lusting after her but now he was in the same position with Penny. I hadn't wanted to sleep with Zoe that night because she was drunk but i was scared it would be my only chance to be with her physically.

"She'll be fine," Zac says from his hospital bed; i made an effort to bring myself to see him. Fully prepared to yell at him for telling Penny but i felt bad because Zoe was right this was my fault, "You're starting to form worry lines or that could just be from old age."

I roll my eyes, "So how's Penny anyway?"

"Listen how about we both agree we fucked up majorly about falling for the two girls we weren't meant to fall for," he says, "I mean it's not a major fuck up because i get good sex and a gorgeous lady at my side."

I snort, "Don't suppose she's got a nice personality too?"

"How can someone be so knowingly cruel but so adorable at the same time?" He laughs.

"So you think I'm adorable?" I question and he flips me the finger.

"You know what i meant," He grumbles, the door behind me opens and i look over my shoulder to see Penny walking in with flowers and balloons, "Oh hey babe."

"Hey, i was just dropping these off before heading to- oh it's you," her face falls when she sees me, i look away and raise my eyebrow at Zac who just shrugs his shoulders i look back at her and her eyebrows are furrowed.

"Nice to see you too Penny," I comment back, she slams the flowers down on the countertop next to her and crosses her arms.

"You have a lot of nerve to rock up here Mr Price," she grimaces.

I stand up from the chair and hold my hands up in defence, "Sorry for coming here to check up on my friend."

"You mean lap dog," she snaps, "He wouldn't be here if it wasn't for your stupid job."

I lower my hands and stare at her, "Zac offered to go in alone, if i had told Zoe about it you probably wouldn't still have your best friend. Plus it is his job."

Her eyes soften for a moment, "You still could of helped him and left her at your place."

"She was having nightmares," i comment, "I couldn't leave her."

"That's actually kind of swe- no! I will not fall for this, shouldn't you be getting ready to teach your students Professor?"

"My lesson isn't until later on," I tell her, i turn to Zac and go to speak but Penny stops me from doing so.

"I hope you aren't expecting Zo to be there," she says; i turn around slowly and cross my arms, "Yeah don't get all cranky, she's not going to in for the rest of the week. Something about a dude named Justin and learning the ropes, honestly this Justin guy sounds hot."

"He's way to old for you," I snap, "Looks like i'll have to pay them a visit."

"No! No!" Penny exclaims waving her finger at me as she steps closer, "You stay away from her until she's ready, you at least owe her that."

"Pe-."

"Look, i like you and her together even if i thought it was hella weird at first considering the situation. But you've really made her come out of her shell more, she's happier and more willingly to actually go out and do stuff. Plus without you i wouldn't have Zac, so what i can do is try to convince her, keyword TRY to convince her to let you come see her." She says with a sigh, "just don't expect a miracle."

"Thank you Penny," a wave of relief is lifted off of me, "Is she at least okay?" I knew she was; the background check on Justin came up clean and i knew he was telling the truth but i needed confirmation from Penny.

"She's more then okay and very safe," she says, "that's all i'm allowed to say."

"Okay," I turn to Zac and pat his shoulder, "I'll head out now, got some shit to fix up i'll come see you again tomorrow."

Zac smiles at me, "Don't do anything i wouldn't do."

"Like run into a house filled with masked dudes that have guns?" I chuckle, "Sounds like a Tuesday."

"This is so crazy," Penny mutters behind me, "My boyfriends a gangster and my best friends boyfriend is his boss aka the leader of the fucking gang."

As i'm walking out i pat her shoulder, "You'll get used to it."

WHEN i arrived back to my place; i opened my phone to text Zoe for the first time since yesterday but soon realise i still had her phone. I walk into my bedroom and retrieve her phone reading over the text messages to read three new ones from the private number.

Private Number

I look forward to it..

Now that's weird Zoe, i can see you right now in your parents house but your phone location is at your boyfriends.

Damn Price, you should of woke her up. I know you're reading this, stay out of my way and she won't get hurt... well much

Using my own phone i sent Pablo a message letting him know i was sending a phone with text messages that needed to be traced asap. This whole time they knew exactly where Zoe was; when she was with me, where she was sleeping. Walking into my bathroom i felt like i was going to throw up, the thought of them knowing everything about her whereabouts and i couldn't protect her. My eyes looked into the reflection of the mirror; i had barely slept since Zoe left and my eyes were baggy and dark. Stepping into the shower my thoughts are changed to the night Zoe and i were together for the first time, if it wasn't such a fucked situation at the moment i would of pleasured myself at the though. But knowing she wasn't with me, she wasn't protected i couldn't do it.

What have you done to me Zoe Myers?