Chapter Twenty Six

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mahatma Gandhi

_____________

ROSE

WHEN i stood in my dead father's office, his blood mixed with my mothers just a hallway away on the phone to my best friend who was sobbing about the new found information from Zac all i could think about was how fucked my life had become after seeing Matt again. I wasn't happy with Zac telling her about the gang related things but i had to have some understanding how was he supposed to lie to her about wounds related from guns. A part of me wished he left it for me to tell her about my parents but i could imagine the pity eyes i would of received upon her getting that info.

Then she told me that Matt had known about the attack on my parents and failed to mention it to me, i saw red from the betrayal. It had been a long time since my heart had broke and now it was broken twice in one day. The news of my parents and now Matt; i could only take so much before i snapped. This new sense of revenge, anger and pure evil that ran through me was new. Most likely it came from my father and it just took an event like this to bring it out of me; when Justin entered and told me who he was i took the opportunity to get away from Matt for a bit before i said anything i would regret.

Justin had drove me to the safe house my father had owned for years; he told me about the people who lived here and how often they would bring me around when i was a child. According to him everyone here has known me since i was a baby, so i was hoping it would feel like a family since i didn't have much of that left now. I hadn't been able to mourn the passing of my parents, i had cried when i found out but i wanted to stay strong, take revenge on whoever did this. Figure out who the texts were from and i knew i would have to speak to Matt to get that information. I had no intention of leaving Matt over him lying to me because understood his reasons - to protect me- but it hurt knowing possibly we could of helped Zac and saved my parents.

The safe house was a large two story farmhouse, i had not known about the farms that were only twenty minutes away from my families home. There were a few people walking around tending to animals, on the outside it would seem like a very loving large family but on the inside there was security cameras; monitors lined walls filled with footage from all different places and the people were really gangsters who have thirty plus kills on their hands. A few children ran around the outside of the house with water guns shooting each other; a frown was on my face at the realisation what they were going to be turned into. I had been here for a little over five hours now, i had been introduced to so many people that i had forgotten their names already. I called up Penny -with Justin's phone- to let her know i was okay and i would probably not be at collage for the rest of the week.

Knowing me i'd end up going back in the next couple of days but i needed some time away, to mourn and get my ass into gear with my training i had sorted with one of the 'assassin'; his name was Tobey and not going to lie he did make me freeze up when he entered the room. He was tall, ashy blonde with dark blue eyes he kind of reminded me of Zac with the way his -what i could see- body was tattooed. Most of it was blacked out as far as i could tell, he was a looker and i was kind of upset that my parents kept him a secret. (Not to mention he is my age as well) but no man could size up to the one i had already, i sigh thinking about Matt missing him already until i remember he had lied.

"Dreamland?" Sally asks sitting down next to me at the kitchen island; everything in this house was white with pops of colour throughout.

It made me think how poor of a design it was considering it was a farmhouse and mud was being tracked through it a lot but it was beautiful. Sally had been another person i had instantly connected with possibly because she was actually my cousin; i hadn't known much of my family and i assumed it was because of my parents decision to keep me out of this lifestyle until i was needed.

Her dark purple hair was tossed into a ponytail, she looked almost like me just with green eyes and paler skin, "Yeah, just thinking about my boyfriend."

I watch as her smile fades and she clears her throat, "Ah yes Matt Price."

"Does everyone hate him?" I ask considering the way her faced changed, she laughs.

"I think you're the only person who likes him," Sally answers, "I'm surprised Justin managed to keep his cool when he picked you up."

"What why?"

She leans in to me, "According to unknown sources Price had killed Justin's girlfriend because he wanted revenge for something but there's also rumours that Justin killed her so who knows what's true?"

I go silent; i knew Matt had killed people he mentioned he only killed those who deserved it on our date but i never thought about who he could of ended the life of; whether it was for revenge, to gain someones attention or even just for fun?

"So did you want to go practice some shooting?" Sally pipes up, "We have a target practice thing in the back, your parents were smart to get a farm because it allows us to shoot guns without drawing attention."

"I might just go take a nap," I tell her standing up from the stool, "We can do that tomorrow?"

She says, "Sure thing, did you want me to wake you up for dinner?"

I nod and walk away to my room that was upstairs next door to my parents; it was almost the same as the room i grew up in. As soon as i laid in the bed feeling the familiarity of it surrounded by photos of my parents and i, i begin to sob into the pillow before eventually passing out.