Chapter Eighteen

And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but the truth in a masquerade. - Alexander Pope

_______________

WHEN I turned nineteen it didn't hit as different as eighteen did, it was almost like eighteen opened up so many opportunities. Underage drinking wasn't considered as bad, drugs were easier to get and you were practically full grown as a woman so it opened up a lot of sexual encounters. Three nights ago on Wednesday i turned nineteen meaning officially a year ago this week i had met Price whom entered my life again just to proceed to exit it. Eighteen held a lot of meaning to me; i went through a lot in the year leading up to this week. Now i was ready to sleep, eat and repeat; alcohol wasn't as fun anymore and drugs were something i strayed away from even with the small craving for weed every now and then. Every year now when i aged up in life it was just me getting closer to twenty-one when i would be able to legally drink, i couldn't wait for the day when my mother or father hand me my 'first shot' and i down it without blinking.

Tonight was the night of the masquerade that was being thrown for the celebration of my birthday; i can't remember the last time i had an actual proper birthday party for myself maybe it was when i was seven and i had a Wiggles themed party because i was obsessed with Anthony. I was anxious to have a whole night planned around me, so the fact it was masquerade themed made me relax a bit. Jackson said all we have to do is turn up and blend in, we will have cake near the end of the night. Since it was a masked party he didn't want to ruin my night by telling everyone i was the birthday girl; it was fun to be anonymous for the night.

My hair was left down and curled, my locks brushing against my collar bones as i bend and climb into the limo Penny asked my father to hire for us tonight; Jackson sat on my left and Penny climbed in after to me with Zac sliding in behind her. Everyone looked amazing tonight, it gave me some excitement for what was to come. When we arrived at the location we slipped our masks on before exiting the limo; Jackson puts out his elbow allowing me to slide my arm into his as he leads me towards the door of the large hall they hired.

"This is beautiful," I whisper tears filling my eyes as i take in the sight before me.

This was all for me? Everything was decorated in red and black decor, elegant black curtains across the ceiling with fairy lights imbedded in them; candle lit tables covered in snacks and drinks. A large dance floor with a Dj playing music, heaps of people i recognised already dancing on the floor.

"You like it?" Penny asks next to me, i'm guided towards a tall table that had a tray of different alcohol bottles. I pick up a bottle of Vodka and pour myself a small glass; i had to wonder if my father knew about the alcohol but he probably wouldn't care much.

"It's insane," I tell them, "This is to much."

"It's not enough," Jackson says laughing, "You deserve it."

I hold back tears that threaten to ruin my makeup, "I don't deserve you guys."

Penny nudges me, "No tears, let's drink and have some fun huh?"

I nod downing my drink, "That's something we can both agree on."

MANY drinks later have me dancing on the floor with Jackson; a slow song played as his hands stay on my waist my arms around his neck as we swayed back and fourth. The night had been filled with laughter, drinks and comments on others outfits - which were all beautiful -, i couldn't of asked for a better night.

My words are slurred as i lean into Jackson's shoulder, "Thank you for tonight."

"It's my pleasure," he says back.