Chapter 33: Abducted

One sunny day, Charlotte felt the need to buy some new maternity dresses, so she informed the duke of her plan. However, the duke was occupied with business and could not accompany her. Thus, she went with a few servants. She was happily trying on dresses when suddenly a shadow covered her mouth and took her away. She was so startled that she fainted.

When she regained consciousness, she found herself in a dark and damp room. She was frightened and confused. She didn't know where she was or who had taken her. She tried to scream, but her mouth was gagged. She struggled to free herself, but her hands and feet were tied.

Hours passed, and she heard footsteps approaching. She hoped that it was the duke coming to rescue her, but it was not. Instead, it was a man, a stranger to her. He introduced himself as a hired hand by the duke's ex-girlfriend, who wanted to take revenge on her for stealing the duke from her.

Charlotte was stunned. She couldn't believe that someone would go to such lengths to harm her. She pleaded with the man to let her go, but he refused. He said that he had been paid handsomely to keep her captive until the ex-girlfriend's demands were met.

Days turned into weeks, and Charlotte's condition deteriorated. She was weak and hungry. She missed the duke and her home terribly. She feared for her baby's safety. She prayed for a miracle to happen, for someone to find her and set her free.

Finally, after three long weeks, the duke and his men found her. They had searched tirelessly for her, following every lead and interrogating everyone who might have known something. They were overjoyed to find her alive but horrified by her condition. They took her to the doctor immediately and promised to punish the ones who had caused her so much suffering.

Charlotte was grateful to be back in the arms of her husband, but the trauma she had experienced had left its mark on her. She knew that she would never forget the terror and the pain of being abducted. She hugged the duke tightly, tears streaming down her face, thanking him for saving her life.