chapter 39

Ross and Monina had just finished cleaning up in the kitchen. 

Everyone except the two had fallen asleep a few minutes after the movie. They were fairly tired after playing too much on the beach.

"Won't your father be furious if he learns that we're gonna be absent for a few days? You only said that we'll be gone for a day, but after seeing Rasmus…" Monina trails as she observes what the male was doing.

He stopped wiping the plates and looked at her blankly.

"I don't care anymore. My father may say he wants the best for me and my sister. But he only wants our achievements to be at the top so it can make his name look good." He said and huffs as he shook his head disappointingly.

"But… Are you sure you'll be okay? He beat you after he learned what we did in the forest." Monina whispers cautiously. She had to keep her voice low so nobody would hear just in case.

Ross was beaten up by his father after he found out what they did to rescue Rasmus. He called his daughter courageous yet he called his son a fool.

Luna and Monina are the only ones who knew he was beaten up. It may not seem obvious since his face did not get the injury but he had to be hospitalized because of a broken rib. He just couldn't stay or his roommates would be suspicious.

"I'm fine. I realized it too late… But it's not my father that scares me… He manipulated my mind to be the best of the best and disappointing him is one but my greatest fear was to see myself fail and see that it's all I can do." Rasmus said and continued doing what he was doing earlier.

"But after we rescued Rasmus. When I used that bow to shoot those men, even not as good as he did… But it was the first time I actually felt thrilled."

"Did you ever have that kind of desperate want? That you'd rather live in the time during the past when money and fame does not matter. You actually have to work hard for everything that you want. The old times were very simple and I want to live in it."

"Just like what Salem used to be during King Lucius' reign. It's like a fairy tale that came to life. Everybody wears the same old clothes and they're all happy and content."

"But this generation… The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. They say the economy improves but people are dying because of poverty. The only thing that matters in our lives now is status and money."

"I've never thought that humans are gonna be evolving backwards."

Monina sighs as he listens to the older's rants. The two had been getting along mainly because Ross would open up to her. And she is grateful for that because they would always share each other's deep thoughts that they don't want others to know.

They became each other's safe place.

And after Jairo died. Ross was on her side all the time and did not give up on her no matter how snarky she became.

"So what do you want now? If you go against your father, you might actually lose everything." She asks.

"You mean my wealth? My status? And what does that even help me with? It gave me nothing but the pressure and the audience who would die to see me fail." Ross scoffs as he finishes his task, he folded the towel he used and left it on the kitchen table before proceeding to throw the trash. Monina followed him.

"I'll do what I want from now on. I'm smart and hardworking. I can do whatever I want." He said proudly and grinned, earning an eye roll from the girl.

"You are full of yourself. But then again it's true." The girl shrugs before the two went back to stay at the balcony.

Cullen suddenly woke up at the sudden alarm of his phone. He and Jamie had bunked in Rasmus' room while the rest were sleeping in the living room after the movie.

He sat up and sleepily grabbed his phone, trying to shut it off before it woke up his sleeping girlfriend.

After he closed the alarm. He looked at the time that reads 4am. He always turns on the alarm around that time since he wakes up early to begin his day with a coffee while songwriting. He does it right away after he wakes up especially when he remembers what he dreams of.

Cullen decided to get up from bed and walked to the kitchen to make coffee. On his way, he briefly stopped when he saw Monina and Ross sleeping on the balcony. He walked over to the two and decided to wake them up.

Ross groggily opens his eyes and pouts at him. Then he shifted and turned his back at Cullen while hugging his knees as he whined due to the cold.

Monina on the other hand had woken up but her cat eyes didn't look like that.

"You should get inside. It's cold out here." Cullen spoke calmly and decided to pull Ross' arms and hang it around his shoulder.

Monina helped him to drag Ross inside like he's a wasted guy who can't afford on his own. The two joined the rest in the living room in their sleep. While Cullen finally got to the kitchen and started making himself coffee.

Once he was done, he went back to where they left their stuff and grabbed his pen and notebook where he already wrote a lot of the songs that their club had produced.

But the moment he got back to the kitchen… his coffee that he left on the table is now gone. He immediately stopped by the door and warily looked around. Keeping his face blunt and calm.

He noticed that the door that leads to the back of the house is slightly opened. It seems that someone forgot to lock it up.

Cullen slowly walked towards the door. He left his things on the table and grabbed a knife as he approached the door. 

He quietly opened it and looked around. The knife on his hand stayed behind his back as he stood by the door frame and looked around making sure that he checked each and every spot in the backyard.

It was very dark but from Cullen's spot, he could see enough because the light in the kitchen was open. And Cullen knows that his eyes never fail him. Especially after seeing a black boot hiding behind a tree just behind the trash cans. 

"Cullen?" The male immediately turned after hearing Jamie's voice.

He steps back and calmly closes the door not forgetting to lock it before turning to her.

"Why do you have a knife in your hand?" She asks as she stares at the weapon that Cullen was holding.

He didn't say anything and walked towards her. Not forgetting to grab his notebook with him as he drags Jamie out of the kitchen.

"Cullen what's wrong?" Jamie whispered frantically while her eyes were still glued to the knife on her boyfriend's hand.

"Someone's here. Wake everyone up." He whispered back with a serious look on his face.

"Are you sure it's not the guards?" 

"We don't have a guard here wearing a military boot." 

Jamie stops for a bit and suddenly realizes. All the lights outside the house were closed when she woke up. She thought Cullen went to the balcony because it was opened and she didn't see any guard there at all.

The two started waking the others up quietly. Cayden even freaked out and shrieked after seeing his brother waking him up with a knife. He panicked when the younger covered his mouth.

"Piss your pants later. Someone's here. All our guards are gone." Cullen whisper yelled before pulling him to sit up.

Cayden frowned and stared at him for a bit until it processed in his mind. They had to wake everyone up and they became very very confused.

"Are you sure it's not just one of the guards? Maybe they just took a break?" Annabelle asks while everyone quietly looks around the living room and closes the doors.

They had pushed a confused Rasmus in the middle. He's still sleepy and has no idea what is going on.

"Cullen's right. The guards are gone…"

I hope you liked the chapter.
Don't forget to vote and comment to share your thoughts.