chapter 35

Rasmus woke up in the middle of the night due to the extreme cold. He's still alone in the room and it is very dark.

He always hated the dark.

So he decided to walk out of the room and saw a small and single lamp lit on the table.

Everyone's also asleep. He looked around scanning them one by one until he saw Annabelle. She's sleeping between Mei and Xin.

He quietly walked towards her and leaned closer to her face. She was shivering, meaning that she's very cold.

"I'm sorry I brought you into this…" he whispers and leaned closer to leave a kiss on her forehead.

He then leaned back and made his way to the door. He left the house and went to the boat. Sitting on the edge of the deck and watching the lake despite the pitch blackness everywhere.

Even though he hated the dark, it still somehow comforted him. Because it hid the tears that he didn't know were staining his cheeks.

Rasmus used to visit the port with his cousin. The house was built there after the king learns that the two would sneak out just to go to the shore and play.

After his cousin moved out for being betrothed to another princess, Rasmus started going to the port by himself. And the last time he went there was with his father and he was the one who brought the boat there.

He promised his son that he would teach him how to fish on the lake. And that was before he was killed.

There used to be two boats there, the other one was used to escape when he was kidnapped.

After a few hours. Rasmus went back inside the boat and started to fix what he could to make it work. But not only the engine is broken, there is no fuel and a lot of wires are burnt.

Frustrated and angry. That's what he felt as he stared at the boat that would never work again. He walked back to the ground and went back inside the house. Everyone was still asleep but they were all cold. The lamp had already stopped working.

He looked up. Forcing himself not to shed more tears. And once he successfully did so, he went back outside and stayed there to be a look out.

He kept his mind blank because he knows that if he starts thinking of everything that's happening. He's just gonna blame himself and blaming will not get them out of there alive.

About a few hours before the sun rises. Rasmus decides to walk around the perimeter. And that was probably the best decision he made for the day because he saw some men closing in to their location.

He hurried back to the house and started waking everyone in a frenzy. Rasmus is the only one who has been in that forest so they have no choice but to follow him wherever he goes.

They ran and ran in the forest until the prince was sure it was safe enough to stop.

"We're lost. How will we find our way out now?" Jamie drawls as she tries to catch her breath.

Wan would have agreed with her but he remembered the map that was given to him. He put it in his back pocket so he would easily be able to use it.

They were in a hurry when they left the house. The only important thing they got to bring with them is the map and the walkie.

They left the rest including the bows and arrows.

Wan quickly put out the map and Rasmus was the one to check it. He immediately pointed out where the location of the port was. And based on the direction they ran to, they're not that far to reach a small village.