[7] new job

In the morning I woke up and had a pounding headache, I went to check the time on my phone and noticed a glass of water with a pill beside it

There was a note, "This should make you feel a little better. I'm making my hangover smoothie downstairs too. Love Jere." I read out loud.

I smiled at the boys gesture, I took the pill and drank the water with it. I got out of bed and noticed that I had a bruise forming around my nose. The bruise didn't look like it would be super dark so that was good.

I went to touch it to see if it was broken, when I touched it, it was a little sore but not sore enough for it to be broken.

I let out a breath of relief before making my way downstairs. My hair was a mess but I didn't care at all.

Jere was in the kitchen making the smoothie, Conrad was laying on the couch, Steven was trying to look at what Jere was doing, my mom was sat in a chair and Laurel was writing her book.

I sat down on the couch and groaned. "Good morning to you too." Jere said, "Thanks for the water and pill." I said and he smiled.

"Did you learn your lesson about drinking irresponsibly?" my mom asked, "Yeah whatever." I replied.

"Wait is your nose bruised?" she asked me, "I fell." I deadpanned. "And how did you guys not notice last night? I had blood all over me?" I asked. "We were to busy dealing with the cops to notice." my mother said and I rolled my eyes.

"We'll as your punishment, you have to work as a lifeguard this summer." my mom said and I shot my head up. "What?" I asked, "Yep, you start in an hour. Get ready." my mom said.

Conrad began laughing, "Sucks to be you." he said and I flipped him off. "Mom you said we'd talk about this." I replied.

"We were going to, but after what you pulled last night I think it wasn't up for discussion anymore." my mom said.

"Why am I the only one being punished?" I asked annoyed, "You're my kid an I can punish my kid." my mom said and I rolled my eyes.

"Jeremiah picked up your uniform, well swimsuit. Go put it on, it's in my room." my mom demanded, I groaned before giving her a look. "Seriously?" I asked, "Yes now go before I decide that this isn't a big enough punishment." my mom said.

I rolled my eyes before slowly walking away. I walked into my mothers room and saw the bathing suit laying on her bed. "Jesus Christ." I said.

It was a very skimpy bright red bathing suit that had "life guard" written on the front in white. I already had my life guard course so that was the reason I had gotten accepted, I used to be a life guard at the local pool in my own hometown.

But I quit when I got uncomfortable being in a bathing suit all the time, of course my mom had to get me a job where i'd be in a bathing suit in front of several people.

I brought the bathing suit into my room and changed into it, I tried not to look in the mirror at all. I threw on a white life guard shirt that came with it and put on the red life guard shirts.

I brushed through my hair and decided to let my natural waves show. I covered the bruise that was starting to show more with some makeup and added a little everywhere on my face.

I didn't want to wear a full face of makeup if there was a chance I was just gonna end up in the water. So I decided to do it more natural.

I still had a pounding headache, but Jere was making his hangover smoothie so I wasn't going to brush my teeth yet.

I walked downstairs and saw him handing a glass to Conrad, he noticed I was now downstairs and passed me a glass.

"Hurry your asses up, I can't be late for my first day of work." Steven complained, "We won't!" Jere replied.

I chugged the smoothie and made a face once I was done, that shit did not taste very good.

I put the glass in the dishwasher and ran upstairs, I brushed my teeth and went into my room. I grabbed my phone and packed a small bag, I had sun glasses and a towel in there.

I ran back down the stairs with a bit so happy face, Belly was in the kitchen now too. She didn't look very happy either.

Jere was pouring a bowl of cereal for Belly when Susannah ran into the room, "Oh my god! Belly's gonna be a debutante!" she said excited.

"It's really not that big of a deal." Belly said with a smile, "I'm sorry? Belly? Like my sister, that thing right there." Steven joked.

"Shut up cretin." Belly said and I laughed, "Okay, this is gonna be so much fun! Just you wait. There is uh... tea, the auction, the ball of course, the rehearsal. I got to write this down." Susannah said in a tone full of joy.

"We need to go shopping!" Susannah exclaimed, "This sounds... expensive." Laurel added.

"Oh, don't worry Laur. It's on me, Rosie do you wanna come?" Susannah asked me, "I can't, my mother is making me do that life guard thing." I replied looking over at my mom.

"That's no fun, why'd you make her do that Mary?" Susannah asked, "Her punishment." my mom deadpanned. Susannah made an O shape with her mouth.

"Well, we still need to style you for your book party." Susannah said to Laurel, "Belly are you sure you wanna do this? It doesn't seem very... you." Laurel stated.

"It's not." Conrad said, "Well, which one of you is gonna be Belly's escort to the ball?" Susannah asked her boys. "Not me, I went last year." Conrad said, who'd he go with?

"Yeah not me, I swore off balls." Jere said and Steven laughed, "Wow guys, stop fighting over me. I'm not going with either of you. I'm gonna find my own date." Belly stated and I smiled.

"Wikipedia says that debutante balls require instruction in morals and social etiquette." Laurel stated, "I'm going for a swim." Conrad said getting up and leaving.

"Yeah she would use some etiquette." Steven said, "No offence Beck, but I don't feel like a country club is the best place to teach Belly about morals." Laurel said.

"Laur, times have changed. There's a girl denning this season, and she's bringing her girlfriend as her escort, and the club was fine with it." Susannah stated.

The rest of their conversation I completely blanked out, I was to busy watching Conrad swimming to pay any attention.

Once I snapped back into reality I realized what time it was.

"Okay well, we should leave. Right guys?" I said, "Yeah definitely." Jere and Steven said. We all walked outside and I laughed, "I did not wanna get involved in that whole deb discussion anymore than I was." I said.

"No shit." Steven joked and we laughed, we walked by Conrad while we left and his gaze stayed on me for longer than he cared to admit.

We all hopped into Jeres car and drove off to the club.
———————————————————————

AUTHORS NOTE

Hey guys! So Rosie has a job as her punishment, please don't say she's spoilt for not wanting the job. She worked all school year and has been dreaming about going to Cousins and being able to spend time with her favourite people after not seeing them for two years. She didn't want the job because it'll take time away from her seeing them. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!

1333 words