Chapter 21 - Cold

(No One's P.O.V.)

The scene opens up to an eighteen-year-old guy sitting on a couch in front of a fireplace. He has a cup of hot chocolate in his hand. 

Glancing over when he hears the door opens, seeing a nineteen-year-old guy walking in with a glimpse of the snow-covered village outside. 

???: Hey, Zach. How was your talk with the leader? 

Zach closes the door before taking off and hanging his jacket up on a hook by the door. 

Zach: Not too well. He said there's not many people who would come this far up north. And especially in this weather, there's nobody who would want to deliver supplies. 

???: I told you. This leader is far worse than the last one. Doesn't even care about his own people. 

Zach: Well, this village is pretty remote. It makes sense why supplies are rarely delivered. But he insists that this snow will let up soon, and when it does, hunting will be much more bountiful. 

???: It hasn't stopped snowing for the past three weeks. And the way it's going, it doesn't seem like it's going to let up anytime soon. Don't know what we're going to do. 

The guy gets off of the couch and goes walking into the kitchen, being followed by Zach. 

Zach: We'll make do. Always have. And if it comes down to it, I'll go get supplies for us. 

???: That'll take forever. We'll have starved by then. 

Zach sighs, leaning on the counter with his arms crossed. 

???: That's not me trying to put you down. It's just... we're running low. I'm sure the entire village is. There's no telling how much longer the three of us will last. Especially with giving Cindy a little bit extra. 

Zach: You agreed to that, too. 

???: I know. Not saying we should stop. Just something has to happen to avoid starving to death. 

Zach: I could try to get the leaders permission to go hunting on my own. 

???: It's dangerous out there. 

Zach: The cold doesn't affect me. 

???: Yeah, that's true. But I wasn't referring to that. The Grimm have increased their numbers around here. Only to increase more with the negative emotions going around. 

Zach puts his head into his hand. 

Zach: They don't worry me. It's losing you and Cindy that does. 

???: I know. And I know it hasn't for you since our parents died. Being the bigger brother trying to take care of his younger siblings. We definitely haven't made it easy on you all the time. It's just... we're going to need an absolute miracle to get out of this situation. 

Zach looks back up at the guy. 

Zach: How much longer do you think we'll have food for? 

The guy sighs. 

???: Maybe a few more days. Might be able to stretch it to the end of the week. That's only if we ration it correctly. 

Zach nods at him. 

Zach: Where's Cindy?

???: In her room. She was sleeping last time I checked on her. 

Zach nods before walking out of the kitchen. 

The scene then cuts to a bedroom with a sixteen-year-old girl sitting on the bed. She's looking out the window. 

Zach comes walking into the doorway, knocking on the door.