december 2022

"Hey, Cody?" Leighton asked while looking through his packed fridge of alcohol.

"What's up?" the man returned, looking up from his phone.

"Can you go grab the rosé from the garage? I forgot to bring it in this morning."

"Sure," Cody agreed, unsure of what else he'd do but live stream a college football game.

Leighton smiled smugly as he watched Cody disappear into the garage. He never left any rosé in there.

Kacie finally walked out of the pantry with the extra loaves of bread, and as soon as he saw her he immediately asked, "Kacie can you come help me find the rest of the champagne in the garage?"

"Sure," she replied, squeezing through a couple of people as Leighton followed her towards the garage door.

Kacie opened the door and stepped into the garage, unbeknownst to her that Leighton hadn't stepped out behind her as the door shut.

Her heart jumped when she heard the door lock and she was locked in the dark garage.

Tensely, she began to bang on the garage door and sternly shout, "Leighton this is not funny!"

"Figure it out!" he replied.

"Leighton what the f*CK is wrong with you! Let me out!" Kacie cried, as she nearly fell down the small set of stairs out of fear when she heard rummaging and a box collapsing from what she assumed was a shelf behind her.

The girl caught her balance as she slowly sat down on the bottom step and rested her head in her hands. Why'd she agree to this?

"Hey, ummm do you know where the rosé is?" asked a voice that descended from the darkness and into the emergency light that luckily never turned off.

"Holy f*ck," Kacie cursed, almost having another heart attack, "Where the hell did you come from?" she almost laughed.

"Leighton asked me to find the rosé, and then the lights went out, and then I heard you yelling," he shrugged.

"First of all, Leighton never buys rosé. Secondly, even if we found the rosé we wouldn't be getting inside." she sighed, dropping her head once again.

Cody tried to open the locked door above her, but gave up as he slowly sat down on the step next to her and frowned, eyes searching the dark room to cheer the heartsore girl up, even just a little.

"I guess we're gonna be here for a while." he finally murmured.

"Yeah," she nodded.

"Well, uh, at least if we die here," Cody slowly stood up and grabbed a box and plastic bag off the ground, "We have plenty of alcohol, party horns, and streamers." he scratched the back of his head, hands running through his hair that came down from under his hat, as he earned no reaction from the discouraged brunette. Afterward, he added, "We can die and have a party, y'know?"

Kacie giggled a little, as Cody laughed at her small laugh and the sight of her smile again.

"I'd love to have a party while we rot away in this garage," she sarcastically rolled her eyes with a laugh.

Cody laughed with her, before asking, "You got a pen?" eyes falling to the ground with a small smirk on his face.

"Why'd I have that?" she smiled, shaking her head.

"F*ck, I was hoping I could write an "I love you" letter to Cass before I die and state very boldly in it to not give her to Gavin or Leighton because they'd probably neglect her."

Kacie nearly burst out laughing if it weren't for her weariness when it came to Cody. The girl reached for the beers and popped one open, taking a swig of it as she looked upwards. Afterward, she handed the can to Cody and asked, "Want a sip?"

"Yeah, sure." he agreed, slowly grabbing it before taking a whisk of it himself and swallowing down a big gulp. His eyes stared at the ground, taking in the rubbery smell of the garage before he said, "Can I just say sorry for everything right now?" he asked, "I've been a little sh*t these past few months. I'm gonna admit it, I was jealous of you and Christian and—."

"It's fine," Kacie assured, "I'm sorry too." she stuttered, "I've been equally as bad and petty if you think about it." she stated affirmingly at him as he nodded.

Cody held out his hand, as Kacie slowly extended hers as well. The girl thought they were going to shake hands, but Cody instead awkwardly dapped her up.

"You're so nerdy," she giggled, finally letting go of the stone barriers she held while in range of Cody.

"Well, it's a good thing the chics dig rich guys who play sports and not personalities." he shrugged.

Kacie couldn't help but laugh at the remark. Ten minutes ago she didn't think she'd be laughing this much while inside Leighton's dark freezing garage that reeked of paint and rubber.

The girl took the last sip of their beer as Cody pulled out another, but soon realized that was their only one.

"I guess that's the end of the alcohol." he shrugged.

"We're just gonna have to deal with dying while blowing our party horns." she laughed, pulling one out of the packaging and handing it to Cody, grabbing another for herself.

She watched as Cody put it into his mouth and blew into it, a sad noise coming out of it as you can tell he somehow managed to blow into a party horn wrong.

Kacie slowly shook her head at Cody as she blew into hers, a blaring loud noise coming out.

"Woah! Why's yours so loud?" he giggled, covering his ears until he finally got used to the sound.

"Maybe it's because you're doing it wrong?" she raised an eyebrow as she watched him blow into it again.

This time, it broke in two as the bottom end of it flew forward off the horn, causing them both to break down into laughter.

New Years wasn't so bad after all.

and that's on being end game