january 2022

Kacie crept into the basement, where all of the hardware, awards, medals, and prized possessions were kept.

Kacie only had one, but she'd promised herself she'd cherish it forever. No matter what.

The baseball that Cody had given her that warm Friday afternoon they had met.

As a joke, Cody had bought her a mount and glass case for the ball.

Her small hands removed the case, and delicately picked up the baseball, sliding her hand across it, but making sure to not to smear the writing.

Slipping it into her hoodie pocket, she went up the basement stairs for the last time. Taking in the last of her own home, as she approached the front door and opened it, head down. Before she turned, and saw a face from the corner of her eye.

There Cody stood, his droopy blue eyes staring sadly at her from the overlook.

They observed each other in silence for what felt like an eternity, until his sad eyes finally convinced Kacie to say something. Perhaps change her mind even.

Kacie sadly smiled, trying to stir up all the happiness she could feel for him from the bottom of her heart, and finally said, "I just want you to know that it'll always be you. Even if it's not me."

Cody didn't say anything. He just kept the same expression as he stared down at her. Too scared to say anything, he didn't even think to open his mouth. He just watched the woman he was supposed to ask to marry in a few months in denial.

"I forgive you, Cody Bellinger."