december 2021

"𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐭. 𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞."

"Stop it, stop! Stop Cody!" Kacie shouted, dodging his arms as she knocked into a stack of dishes on the shelf, causing them to fall and clash loudly on the ground.

"But Kacie..." the man of her world slurred.

"You're drunk! You promised me you—"

Kacie was cut off by the sudden collapse of her boyfriend.

She examined him as he fell to the ground. His eyes rolled behind his head as he clashed against the cold tile and shattered remains of the fine china dishes.

Slowly kneeling down, she cupped her small hand around his sharp jaw as a tear slid down her cheek and dropped onto his miserable face.

"I'm sorry Cody," Kacie softly spoke, caressing his soft curls as she planted a kiss on his cheek and attempted to slump him over her shoulder as she got up.

Kacie found she was too tiny to even lift his arm, let alone his whole body.

To say this was a regular occurrence would be an understatement. Truthfully, Superstar Cody Bellinger had been battling alcoholism for the past 2 years, due to the passing of his best friend and forever brother, Corey Seager.

Kacie slid a pillow under his head, heart aching for his awful state. She had tried to help him. She had done every possible thing there was to be done.

Through these awful 2 years she had also realized sadness is not the only thing you feel when you lose someone. You feel guilt. Regret. Sorrow. Dejection. Shame. Grief.

There's a never ending list.

And maybe she wasn't able to help him or understand because she'd never lost someone in that way. Or someone so close. She'd only ever lost dogs that were out to kill her, grandparents she hadn't ever met, and a countless number of friends that weren't real.

Kacie wasn't close to Corey. In all honesty, she had barely ever said more than a couple of sentences to him. He seemed nice. Very quiet. Sort of standoffish, and avoided everyone that wasn't a teammate, his girlfriend Mady, or his dog, Hazel, at all cost.

He didn't like attention, either.

And now, he is the new poster child of 'taken too soon'.

Kacie slowly pulled Cody's fainted body towards her, propping his pillow against the wall for her to lean on. She then laid Cody's head in her lap, and whispered, "I love you."