59

when i woke the next morning, Rafe was gone.

his side of the bed was cold, and there was no note.

i couldn't help but remember the times when he would leave little messages on his pillow, telling me he'd gone to get me breakfast, or had a meeting to attend.

after staring at the ceiling for a while, i rolled out of bed and padded into the bathroom, turning on the shower while i brushed my teeth.

i stood under the hot water, waiting for Rafe to walk into the bathroom with that smirk on his face and join me in the shower.

i waited and waited.

and then i waited some more.

but he didn't come.

i shut the water off and dried myself, standing in front of the mirror to brush my wet hair and pat makeup on.

i exited the bathroom and chose an airy white dress from the closet, pairing it with my tan Hermes sandals.

the house was quiet as i headed downstairs and made myself breakfast.

i knew Hector and Wheezie would sleep until midday, but there was no sign of Ward or Rose—who always woke well before me.

and Rafe was nowhere to be seen either.

i couldn't imagine where he would go.

he wouldn't go swimming, it was unlikely he'd gone on a run.

i knew Barry wasn't in Guadeloupe so at least he hadn't gone to feed his dying addiction.

the doors to the back porch were slightly open and i finished my breakfast before investigating.

outside, Ward watched two men, who were moving the cross.

"hey," i called to them. "what are you doing?"

"oh, June," Rafe appeared. "there you are."

"i woke up and you were gone."

"yeah, sorry." he rubbed the back of his head. "i've gotta sort this shit out."

"this 'shit' is gonna make us rich." i rolled my eyes. "you could've left a note."

"we're already rich," he smirked. "and why would i leave a note?"

"maybe so i knew where you were?"

"i'm here," he frowned. "do i have to let you know every time i move an inch?"

"you know what i mean." i glared at him. "you can stop being a dick any time you like."

"jeez, sorry." he raised his hands.

i folded my arms. "what's going on?"

"we're taking the cross back to Kildare."

"what's wrong with it being here?"

"Dad says it's not safe. Singh knows where it is now."

"would he come all this way to take it?"

"you saw him, Ju. he killed that guy for helping Kie."

"Kiara." i corrected. "killing someone is very different to stealing a cross."

"whatever. you think he would just sit around in Barbados knowing what he wants is right here?"

i shrugged.

"would you?"

"i would send someone to do it for me."

"if it was something you really, really wanted." he pressed. "think huge diamond ring, or something worth... say, i don't know, close to a billion dollars."

"is that what the cross is worth?" my eyes widened slightly.

Rafe nodded.

"you be careful with this," i told the two men, who nodded.

i took a step towards the cross, suddenly wanting to touch it all over again, but a hand grabbed my arm.

i turned round angrily, ready to protest and demand my immediate release.

but Rafe only placed a finger to his lips, pointing to his father.

i had completely forgotten about Ward, standing before the cross.

the gold was bathed in the early morning sun and glowed ethereally.

Ward reached out slowly and touched the gemstones on the centre of the cross.

my fingers ached to do the same.

he bowed his head and rested it against the solid gold, trembling slightly.

i knew that even if Rafe and i sold the cross completely by ourselves, Ward would still expect at least half of our earnings.

i didn't want that.

he had charged us—Rafe—with it.

if he wasn't going to do anything to help us, why should he get a cut?

down on the beach, a figure i knew to be Rose glided out of the water.

Ward looked over towards her.

huge waves crashed behind her, but Rose had always been a strong swimmer.

she headed up the beach towards us, dripping wet from her morning swim.

"hey, Juno," she waved. "did you sleep okay?"

"yeah, it was the waking up which pissed me off."

"oh?" she frowned.

"Rafe was gone. didn't even leave a note."

"Ward and i always leave each other notes." she turned to Rafe. "don't cause your loved ones unnecessary worry."

"he's done enough of that in his time." i scoffed.

"what's that meant to mean?!"

"you know exactly what i mean, Rafe Cameron."

he only shrugged and shot Rose a pained expression.

"don't you give me that look." she scoffed.

Rafe only shrugged. "i'm going to shower, coming, June?"

i pointed to my wet hair.

Rafe looked blank.

"i've already showered."

"oh," he said. "right... bye then."

he turned and headed up to the house.

"how's things with the two of you?" Rose rung water from her blonde hair.

"i don't know," i sighed. "we're both on edge with all this stuff going on."

"i get it," she nodded. "just be patient. ride out the storm, you know."

"yeah, i'll try—we're trying."

little did i know, the storm was a hurricane.

the kind that was capable of destroying everything.