14

Rafe said nothing as he got on his bike, but jerked his head for me to get on the back.

helmets were nowhere to be seen, but i trusted him.

we roared down the dirt track, then along the road, to the boneyard.

it was dark when we got there, pitch black in fact.

nobody was there, unsurprisingly.

Rafe got off the bike, storming to the waterfront, then sat on the sand, his head in his hands.

i followed cautiously.

"he told me not to come home," he said when i neared.

i sat next to him, gazing at his face.

a tear rolled down his cheek.

the only time i'd seen him cry was when his grandma died.

i wiped his tear away, but they kept coming.

"i need to sort my shit out, Juno. i really need to."

i remained silent.

"i guess it's a good sign that you're still here, right? after what i said on the docks?"

i looked into his watery eyes and he looked back into mine.

"i love you too, Rafe." i cupped his face in my hands. "it took me a while to realise it, i'm sorry for keeping you in suspense."

he laughed through his tears, hiccuping, and kissed me hard.

the time was 1am.

Rafe had fucked me so hard on the sand, he'd had to carry me back to the bike, and i winced and whined at every movement.

i knew he'd used me as a distraction, but i didn't mind at that moment.

by 1.15 we were back at my place, not bothering to go inside, heading straight for the boat house.

the boat house was a little place; two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and an open plan living room and kitchen.

it was suspended on stilts, hovering above the water.

there was a balcony all around, and stairs down to the boat, The Princess Juno.

i'd insisted on the name when i was four, forcing my parents to change it from The Dione.

we went straight to the kitchen, raiding the cabinets for any alcohol we could find.

we were in luck, coming out with an un-opened bottle of Jaegermeister and half a bottle of Malibu Rum.

i took the Malibu, letting Rafe take the full bottle.

we didn't bother with cups.

we sat on loungers on the living room balcony, drinking and watching the sky.

"shooting star," Rafe pointed eyes heavy, 3/4 of the bottle gone. "make a wish."

i laughed, but made one anyway.

i wish for clear skin every day. and also, for Rafe to sort his shit out.

when i opened my eyes, Rafe was looking at me.