10

Rafe and i were in the house changing out of our sopping clothes when Top came in, panting.

"where the hell have you been?" he leaned a hand on the doorway, steadying himself.

"went swimming, clearly." Rafe moved to shield my body as i pulled my top on.

Topper rolled his eyes. "we need to go back to the mainland—right now. they know who sank my boat."

Kelce, Rafe and i once again sat in the Thornton's living room, trying to listen to what was being said outside.

"who do you think it was?" Kelce asked.

"someone from the cut." i stated. "my guess is Pope."

"i think it was that guy Juno told to take the boat back." Rafe frowned.

Topper, the Sheriff and Mrs Thornton entered the room a few minutes later.

"who was it, then?" i got to my feet.

"fucking pogues," Topper's face was thunder and ice.

"Topper! language!" Mrs Thornton glanced at Sheriff Shoupe, who hadn't batted an eyelid. "thank you for your time, Sheriff."

"all in a days work, Mrs Thornton." he said, and showed himself out.

"what are we going to do about it then?" Topper asked once the adults had left.

"leave it with me," Rafe said. "i'll think of something."

Top nodded as i stood.

"i've gotta get going," i said.

"why?" Top frowned. "oh, right." he nodded when i glared at him.

i said goodbye to the boys, and called Hector, telling him to pick me up.

"be at mine at six, ok?" i told Rafe, kissing him goodbye.

"alright,"

Hector arrived a minute later on his bike, taking us back home to get ready for Midsummers.

i took a long shower, washing my hair and shaving, then i brushed my hair into a loose up-do, and did my makeup natural.

concealer, foundation, blush, highlight, light pink lipstick, and false eyelashes.

i walked into my closet, picking up my brand new dress.

it was light blue, made of the finest, softest silk and fitted like a second skin.

it reached the floor, had an open back and a dangerously long slit, reaching my upper upper thigh.

to say it was gorgeous was an understatement.

i looked even better than normal.

"Juno?" Rafe barged into my room.

"you should knock! i could've been changing!"

"there is absolutely nothing i haven't seen before, J."

i emerged from my closet, and glared at Rafe as i took in his outfit—the same one he'd been wearing since we'd left the island this morning.

"are you fucking joking, Rafe Cameron?"

"what? i'll knock next time if you get this worked up!" he held his hands up in surrender.

"it's Midsummers, Rafe! do you even have a suit?" i yelled.

"shit, Juno i'm so sorry." he rubbed the bridge of his nose.

i stormed into my closet, grabbing the suit i knew he'd forget.

"you fucking owe me! i paid three times extra for this to be tailor made this morning to match my dress, which you haven't even bothered to compliment!" i threw the suit into his arms.