49

the captain was beyond pissed when he found us in his now wrecked container.

Rafe told him to go fuck himself, then scooped me up and carried me away.

i buried my head in the crook of his neck so nobody saw my tear stained face.

i had no idea where Rafe was taking me and i didn't look for fear someone would see me crying.

he opened a door and put me down gently.

"is this her?" a female voice asked.

"what does it look like?" he replied sarcastically.

"Juno, could you lay down?" the woman said gently.

i looked up at Rafe, who nodded encouragingly.

i looked about, realising we were in some sort of nurses office.

a middle aged woman who i assumed was a nurse or doctor smiled down at me.

"go on," Rafe nudged me gently. "she'll help you."

i laid down on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

"my name is Alice and i'm a Nurse." she pulled some gloves on. "i'm going to lift your shirt, is that okay?"

"yeah, it's fine." Rafe told her when i didn't answer.

Alice lifted my shirt and began to feel my stomach.

i winced, letting out a small cry.

"sorry, sorry..." Alice muttered, rubbing the sore spot. "i'm afraid i'm going to have to do that again. tell me when you're ready."

i took a few deep breaths before nodding, squeezing my eyes shut.

Alice pressed hard on my stomach, making me cry out again.

Alice grabbed a stethoscope, putting the cool metal on my stomach and the earpieces into her ears.

she listened intently, and i could've heard a pin drop.

Alice eventually removed the stethoscope, putting it around her neck and removing her gloves.

"Juno, Rafe," she took a deep breath and my heart pounded with fear and hopefulness. "i can't hear a heartbeat. i'm sorry."

my heart shattered as a barbed knot formed in the back of my throat.

i looked at Rafe, his face mirrored mine.

he took my hand and led me out of the room and out onto a small deck, before wrapping me in his arms and holding me tight.

"i'm sorry, Juno." he whispered into my hair.

"it's not your fault," tears began to spill.

"i wasn't there to protect you... either of you."

"there was no way you could've been."

"if i had tried harder-" Rafe frowned.

"it's not your fault, Rafe." i repeated.

a tear rolled down his cheek and i stepped into his embrace as we broke down together, the sunset casting shadows across the ocean.

"hello, June?" Mommy's voice rang out from my phone.

"hi, Mommy."

she sighed, sounding relieved. "are you ok? Hector said you were in quite the state earlier? saying you had nobody to talk to... is everything ok with Rafe?"

"yeah." my voice wobbled.

"Junie? what's the matter?" she asked immediately.

"it's the baby," i choked out.