26

"of course it was John B," Suri scoffed.

Kelce, Topper, Suri and i were sat at the country club, soaking in the sun.

Suri had convinced me to let Rafe have some time alone for the morning.

"who else would it have been?" Kelce squinted in the sunlight.

"unless Peterkin shot herself, then there's no other suspect," Kelce rocked back in his chair.

i rolled my eyes and pulled his shirt, making sure all six legs were on the wooden deck.

"there's nothing confirmed yet-" Top began as JJ stalked past.

"it was the Pogue, one hundred percent." Kelce said tantalisingly.

"John B would never do that," Maybank stopped.

"then why is he on the run?" i asked sweetly.

JJ glared at me and tapped my fork against Suri's empty glass.

"ladies and gentlemen, i would like to announce it was Rafe Cameron who shot and killed Sheriff Peterkin!" he yelled.

Kelce stood up, his chair tipping backwards.

the two boys got up in each others faces.

"step down, Pogue," Kelce growled.

in retaliation, JJ threw a jug of ice water over Kelce's head.

"Maybank!" an angry voice yelled.

"yeah, yeah, i'm fired." he shouted back, retreating before Kelce could hit him.

we watched him hand his apron over and get on his bike, then frowned as he kicked up the flower bed using his beat up dirt bike.

"there's one of Rafe's shirts in my back seat." i handed my keys over to my sodden friend.

"thanks, Ju." he grumbled off.

i rolled my eyes at Suri and Topper.

"someone needs to call the exterminator to get rid of the fucking Pogues," the man seated a few tables away muttered.

Kelce returned wearing a simple white polo, just as our drinks arrived.

i'd gone for a Long Island Iced-Tea, seeing as it was barely lunchtime.

Suri and Kelce had Bloody-Mary's, due to the night they'd spent partying together at his place. 

Topper had coffee and a miniature bottle of brandy, which he surreptitiously tipped into his mug.

"classy," i raised my eyebrow at him.

"it's good!" he held the mug out to me.

"i bet," i took a sip of my iced-tea, declining his strange concoction.

"so, how actually is Rafe?" Suri asked. "i haven't seen him since the Kegger."

"he's good, i think. he never likes to show his emotions but he seems to be coping well with Sarah and all."

Suri nodded as if she understood. "and Wheezie?"

"she's spending a lot of time at Tanny Hill. Hector's really trying but she was closer to Sarah than Rafe."

"yeah, i get that." Suri sipped her drink.

she had no fucking idea.

"i never really liked Suri." Rafe frowned.

we were walking around the garden in search of Ward.

"i think you should see her less."

"i am. today was the first time i've seen her since that Kegger."