4

that night was hot, too hot to sleep, stay awake, or even drink.

everyone was still het up from Top's fight and the two boys stayed until late.

we sat on the porch, drinking and smoking, waiting for the weather to cool down.

once it reached one in the morning, Kelce called a cab and said his goodbyes.

an hour later and against my protests, Topper stumbled to his car, promising he'd drive slowly.

after i wondered if we could sleep outdoors where it was cooler, Rafe suggested we sleep on My Druthers.

"it's the only place with good air conditioning," he explained.

we didn't need to bring anything—the Druthers was stocked with food, water, blankets and alcohol.

Rafe and i lay next to each other on the deck, the boat rocking gently, sweat sliding down our bodies.

"how long have we been dating now?" Rafe stared up at the sky.

i glared at his perfect side profile.

"silly question," he grinned to himself.

silence fell, broken only by the sound of the crickets and the quiet creaks from the boat.

Rafe turned and looked at me.

"what?" i asked, wiping my face free of sweat.

"nothing." he looked back up at the stars.

"tell me, Rafe Cameron." i sat up.

he sighed. "i just... god it makes me sound like such a little bitch."

"my little bitch," i said and gave him a brief kiss. "now, tell me."

"i can't imagine what i could've possibly done to end up with you..." he didn't meet my eyes.

"what do you mean?"

"i'm the college drop out, you're one of the idols of figure eight... i thought you'd end up with someone... better than me, that's all."

"i don't want someone else, idiot." i grinned.

he just stared at me, his blue eyes studying my face.

his gaze softened, something very rare. "Juno, i think... i-"

"hey guys, room for two more?" Wheezie called out.

the vacancy in Rafe's eyes returned and he turned to watch his two sisters approach.

"whatever," he scowled.

Sarah and Wheezie went to sleep indoors and i followed, grabbing a pile of blankets.

"you have fun at the kegger?" i asked Sarah.

"no i didn't go," Wheezie answered quickly.

i raised my eyebrows and turned to Sarah, who's expression mirrored mine.

"you speak to Top?"

she shook her head.

"you should."

"i will," she said.

i nodded and headed back outside with the blankets, laying them down on the deck.

"so, what was it you were saying before?" i laid down beside Rafe.

"doesn't matter." he breathed.

"it does,"

"no it doesn't, Juno. i'll tell you one day."

we sat in silence for a long while, then his arms snaked round my waist.