46

the Costal Venture was a huge freight cargo ship.

i followed Rafe down a narrow road, freight containers piled high each side of us, some of them being moved onto the ship by a huge crane.

the lorry stopped and i stamped on my breaks, slamming my hand onto the horn.

Rafe got out and flipped me off as i pulled up next to the lorry.

"where do i go?" i rolled my window down.

"onto the ship. i'll come with you." Rafe climbed into the back.

he directed me round the side of the ship, then up a ramp and inside.

Rose's black Audi was parked at the end of the cargo hold.

i parked next to her car and turned the engine off.

i got the dogs out of the boot and fastened their leads to the collars, then handed Bingo's lead to Hector.

"i'm gonna go find some people to unload our stuff, ok?" Rafe kissed me.

"i'm gonna hurl." Hector muttered under his breath. "it's worse than seeing Mom and Dad kiss."

i laughed and kissed Rafe sloppily, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"okay that's more than enough." Hector grabbed my wrist, pulling us apart. "can we go and find Wheezie now please?"

"sure," i chuckled, allowing him to pull me away and waving goodbye to Rafe.

we tracked Rose down, she was unpacking bags in her room.

"morning, Mrs Cameron." Hector yawned.

she turned around. "oh, hey Hector, how many times do i have to tell you—call me Rose!"

my brother shrugged. "do you know where Wheezie is?"

Rose nodded. "she's in her cabin, it's the room opposite."

"thanks, Mrs C!" he turned to leave but the door opened. "what the fuck...?"

i failed to hide my gasp.

Ward stood in the doorway, looking surprised to find Hector and i in his room.

"Juno..." Hector stepped away from Ward until his arm touched mine.

"don't worry, it's okay."

"woah—no, no, no... no, you— he's dead!"

"hey, Little Man..." Ward walked slowly towards us, his arms slightly open.

Hector shifted his body so he stood slightly in front of me.

"it's okay, Hec." i rubbed his shoulders.

he turned to me and frowned.

he no longer had to look up at me, instead we were eye to eye.

i sighed. "it's a long story, but Ward is alive and well, as you can see."

my brother glanced at the man, looking him up and down a few times before nodding.

"well... if you say so, then i believe you... but i still don't understand."

"why don't you go find Wheezie?" Rose ushered Ward out of the way.

"yeah, that sounds like a good idea." i grabbed Hector's hand led him out of the cabin.

"Hector!" Wheezie jumped off her bed and hugged him tight. "i haven't seen you for ages!"

"it's been like a week," Hector laughed.