40

"hey, June." someone shook me gently. "Juno, wake up."

i opened my eyes.

Rafe was fully dressed and looked like he'd been up for a while.

"get ready, there's someone who wants to meet you."

Rafe waited while i quickly showered and did my hair and makeup.

i dressed in a green satin bralet and blue loose fit jeans that hung low on my hips.

i caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as i left.

my stomach was growing.

it wasn't big enough for anyone to notice, but it was enough for me to notice.

fuck.

Rafe took my hand, leading me down to the dining room.

a man with brown hair and woman with a crutch and blonde hair faced away from the door, but i recognised her instantly.

"Aunt Carla?" i gasped.

"Juno!" she turned around. "as soon as this charming young man told me about his girlfriend, i knew it must be you!"

i hugged her tight.

"you two know each other?" the man asked.

"i'm her dad's cousin. i haven't seen June-Bug since she was fourteen. still as beautiful as ever i see." she smiled.

i shrugged modestly, lowering my head and smiling up at her.

the man cleared his throat.

"oh, yes, i forgot. Juno, this is Renfield, my... assistant." she looked back at him.

i raised my eyebrows and nodded. "right. so, what are you doing here?"

"we have reason to believe that this room is a map to a seven foot, jewel encrusted gold cross." she limped over to sit on a dining chair.

i blinked.

"it once belonged to Denmark Tanny, and when he died, it was lost. it's worth hundreds of millions of dollars. if you help us find it, we're willing to split the money."

i nodded slowly and looked at Rafe.

"we'll help you, but if you think for one second you can trick us out, or double cross us in any way, we will end you." he told her.

i couldn't lie, i was a bit turned on.

Carla nodded approvingly at me. "you did well, June-Bug."

we ripped the wall paper off the dining room walls.

Aunt Carla was right.

underneath the blue wallpaper was a map of the island, and in the corner was a tree.

Carla told us it was called the Angel Tree, and she believed the cross was buried under it.

Rafe and i went in his Range, while Carla, Renfield, and some of her other men went in separate vehicles.

we drove in somewhat comfortable silence, Rafe whistling along to the radio, and me scrolling through my phone.

we drove along a wet grassy track surrounded by swamp land.

"are you sure they're not taking us to our deaths?" Rafe joked, pausing his whistling.

"you never know with Carla. she's a two faced, backstabbing snake."

"what? so why are we doing this?" he slowed down.

"because she's seen what happens when someone does something i don't like."