48

Rafe unlocked the door as we ran past, not stopping to hear the crew's thanks.

we made it onto the top deck and our eyes were drawn to the crane.

someone was in the box and had our cross waving about on a thick rope.

"get the cross, i'll get John B." i instructed.

Rafe nodded and went over to the crane while i turned and began searching the deck.

i heard yells coming from below and looked over the barrier.

Ward had Sarah shoved behind him, protecting her from something i couldn't see.

"don't do this, Ward." a recognisable voice said.

"no, she's my daughter and she's staying here."

"just let me go!" Sarah tried to free herself to no avail.

"i don't want to hurt you." the voice said.

"what are you gonna do," Ward chuckled. "hit me?"

i spotted a ladder to my right and stepped down it onto Ward's level just in time to watch the Pogue push Ward over, causing him to hit his head hard on the railing of the boat.

Sarah glared at me.

i looked around the corner to see John B.

i was the cat, he was the mouse.

i stood in front of him and loaded the shotgun with a loud click, aiming the barrel at his chest.

before i had a chance to fire, John B grabbed the end of the gun, aiming it up and away from him and trying to wrench if our of my grasp.

i snatched it back and brought the butt down on the side of his head.

i grinned at the loud crack that sounded, causing him to grab his temple.

he raised his fist.

"what're you gonna do, JB? are you seriously gonna hit a woman again?"

"you're a gaslighting, backstabbing, manipulative, evil bitch. you're a devil, not a woman." he seethed. "and yes, JW, i am going to hit you again."

he punched me square in the jaw, leaving my head reeling.

i didn't hold back, swinging the butt of the gun wildly, the metal connecting with his stomach and arms and legs.

he doubled over and i took the opportunity to bring the gun down on the back of his head, sending him to the floor.

hands grabbed me, trying to pull me back.

i whirled around, aiming the barrel at none other than darling Sarah Cameron.

"Juno, please stop," she outstretched her palms, walking slowly towards me. "you don't want this."

"you have no idea what i want." i reloaded the gun, aiming it at her. "if you come closer, i'll kill you."

"why are you doing this? just because Rafe wants you t-"

"i'm doing it because i want to. because your dirty little Pogue boyfriend killed my baby."

"baby?!" John B's face drained of colour.

"yes, Rafe and i's baby."

"you're a liar." his voice was quiet.

"why would i lie about that?" my throat was dry and my eyes were wet. "why would i fucking lie?!" my voice rose.