37

the house was gorgeous.

large bedrooms, all with en-suites and walk in closets and balconies, and a master room with a jacuzzi in the bathroom and it's own mini living area.

each bathroom had heated floors and light up mirrors that didn't fog up, and the balconies had space for patio sets.

the kitchen was and warm, the living room cosy and inviting, and there was more.

a cinema room, a games room, a children's playroom, studies, a wine cellar, and two pools, one in the basement with a sauna and steam room, and one outside with a water slide.

it was perfect.

"we've had a couple of offers." Kennedy, the real estate agent told us. "but both people are still thinking about it. if you bought it before, say, tomorrow evening, you could be moved in in a fortnight."

Rafe looked at me, silently asking for my opinion.

"well, i love it. i think it would be perfect." i smiled.

"brilliant! if you pop over to the offices in a few hours i can have all the papers ready." she nodded excitably.

"we'll be there." Rafe put his arm around me.

"yay!" she clapped her hands. "i'll update the status of the house to sold!"

"she was... something." Rafe said when we got into the car.

"she really was."

she waved us off, grinning madly.

"what d'you wanna do?" he asked.

"go see Hector."

"alright. do you wanna stop by the mall and get him something?"

"yeah, that'd be cute."

we pulled up to Adergate Mall and walked around for a while.

i eventually decided to get Hector a new video game console that would be easier to use one handed.

the man bagged it up for me and we were back on our way.

Dad was out when we got home, and the garage door was closed, which was strange.

"Mommy? Hec?" i called, letting myself in through the front door.

nobody replied.

"hello!"

i went into the kitchen, hoping to find Mummy baking or drinking wine.

"surprise!" Mummy and Hector jumped out from behind the island.

"holy f-! don't do that!" i put a hand over my heart, holding onto Rafe for dear life.

they all laughed at me.

i rolled my eyes. "are you okay?" i said to Hec.

he nodded.

"we got you this." i gave him the bag.

"sweet!" he turned the console over with his good hand. "thanks you guys!"

"no problem." Rafe grinned.

"we got you something too!" he looked to Mom.

"seeing as you weren't here on your birthday, we didn't get a chance to give you your present." she held a tiny red box in her hands.

she handed it to me and i opened it slowly.

inside sat two car keys.

not any type of car keys.