64

HEY GUYS
i know i've been m.i.a SORRY i just had no clue where to take this story SO i've made a few changes. if you've been reading since before 14/03/24 i'd recommend going back and rereading from chapter 47 :)
LOVE YA xxx

"so tell me about this fake cross you put on the train." i took a sip of juice.

Rafe and i were having lunch on the balcony at Tanny Hill after returning from Barry's. 

"well you know i couldn't let my dad donate it," Rafe leaned forward. "i had a crate filled with tyres put on the train."

"and?"

"and it was stolen," he grinned. "by the pogues."

"why are you smiling?"

"because, June, once again we've outsmarted the pogues."

i smiled a little and shook my head, staring out over the garden.

"now that the cross is melted down, it's untraceable—we'll be able to sell the gold faster." he explained. "nobody needs a seven foot cross, but they do want solid gold nuggets."

"you've thought this through,"

he nodded and leaned back. "everything is going perfectly."

"that's what i like to hear,"

Rafe's phone began to vibrate on the table and he leaned forward to look at the screen.

"it's Ward," he said.

"are you gonna answer?"

"i have to," he picked up the phone and held it to his ear. "hello?"

i watched him closely.

"yeah, yeah, we're fine. you said you wanted to talk about something, what's up?"

his eyes flew to mine.

"are you being serious?" he demanded.

"what?" i mouthed.

"Dad—no, no—Dad. this cross is ours, we got it through our work, and now you're trying to make yourself feel better by giving away my shit? and you didn't even tell me!"

i snapped my fingers at him and pointed to the phone.

he took it away from his ear and placed it on the table, pressing speaker.

"this is me telling you right now, son," Ward said. "you've done some things, Rafe, bad things."

"oh, my god." he dragged his hand over his face.

"i need to make up for it and donating this cross is a step in the right direction... you know, maybe if Sarah finds out-"

"Sarah? there it is! that's it! any more of my shit you want to steal from me to impress Sarah? she doesn't give a shit about you!"

"the meeting is tomorrow night, i'll send you the information." Ward ignored Rafe's outburst. "you better be there."

"for the record, Dad," Rafe said. "this is bullshit, okay, this is my thing. but of course, you can count on me."

i narrowed my eyes at him.

"listen, tomorrow night at seven fifty-"

"hang on, one second, Dad." Rafe looked at the window.

i could've sworn a shadow moved behind the drawn curtain.

he jerked his head at me, telling me to go and investigate.