50

WE'VE MADE IT TO SEASON 3
honestly thank you so much for choosing to read Always, it means more than you know <33

happy reading  <3

the summer sun was hot against my skin.

Rafe and i had arrived in Guadeloupe from Barbados earlier in the day and now we were driving to the Cameron's from the airstrip.

my feet were up on the dashboard, a book in my lap, the wind from the open window pushing my hair off my face.

"has there been any news since we landed?" i stared at the road ahead.

he shook his head. "still in the coma,"

i nodded, not pressing any more.

we'd both been on edge for the past two weeks while we moved the cross to Guadeloupe.

everything had gone smoothly—but i knew that could only mean something was about to happen.

we made it to the Cameron's place and Rafe parked his Range Rover outside.

"he's in his bedroom," Rafe called to me. "come see him with me?"

i nodded and took his hand as we made our way up the stairs, heading for Rose and Ward's room.

both of us paused before we entered, Rafe taking a deep breath and me swallowing the feeling of dread.

but he pushed the door open slowly and we entered the room.

Ward lay on his bed, hooked up to an IV drip, a couple of tubes coming out of his arm.

"hey, Dad..." Rafe sat on the bed beside him. "we've moved the cross."

nothing.

"we're taking care of things—Ju and me. we've got it."

i bit my lip, hoping Ward would do something—anything.

but he didn't even twitch.

"Rose doesn't have a clue what's going on." Rafe continued. "she thinks she does, though."

"she wants to help us, but Rafe's got it all planned out." i added.

he nodded. "the gold is in the vault like you left it—it's all safe."

"and we're dealing with the cross," i watched Ward closely, but nothing happened.

"you'll see when you wake up," Rafe sniffed and got up.

he took a few steps backwards and slid his hand around my waist as we looked down at Ward.

"come on," i tugged his sleeve. "we'd better let him rest."

"what d'you think he's been doing the past three weeks?" he muttered, but followed me out of the room.

we headed downstairs and got back into Rafe's car, crawling down the driveway and then speeding down the road.

our new house was only fifteen minutes down the road, but with Rafe's driving it was more like five.

he pressed the button on his dashboard and the gates whirred open for us.

he parked the car in the garage and opened the trunk, taking our bags into the house.

i left him to it, going upstairs to our bedroom, sighing when i arrived.

we'd only spent a couple of nights in the house since we'd bought it using some more money from the gold.

there were still countless boxes sitting around the house, waiting to be unpacked.

i caught sight of myself in the huge full length mirror and stopped.

i removed my shirt—one of Rafe's that i'd stolen—and looked in the mirror, turning to the side.

i wondered what my stomach would have looked like.

would i be showing yet?

would i call Rafe excitedly when i felt it kick?

i'd never know.

Rafe entered and stopped short, taking everything in; my hands resting on my flat stomach and the look on my face.

slowly, he put the bags down and walked over to me, pulling me into his arms.

"don't do that, J."

"i can't help it," my voice was muffled by his chest. "it's all i think about."

"me too, but we have to move on."

i didn't respond.

"you can't let it distract you,"

"mmm,"

he took my hand and we sat on the edge of our bed.

"we've got the rest of our lives ahead of us, Ju. many more years to have many more babies."

"yeah."

he lifted my chin and kissed me twice, gently. "i love you, more than you know."

"i love you too," i said as he left the room. "more than i should." i added, under my breath.

i knew Rafe wasn't a good guy, but he and i... we worked.

we made sense.

i headed for the bathroom, drawing myself a bath and filling it with bubbles.

after removing my shorts and underwear i slipped under the warm soapy water, staying under until i ran out of breath.

when i resurfaced, Rafe was back, holding a glass and a bowl.

"here," he showed me. "cranberry juice and mango chunks."

i sat up, opening my mouth as he placed a piece of mango on my tongue.

i chewed. "thanks, Rafe."

he shrugged. "it's the least i can do."

i didn't question what he meant by that, choosing to savour the moment.

all would be revealed soon.