Chapter 11

Date: 03-08-1990

Over the next few weeks everything changes. I stop accepting your treats because my heart would ache when I do. I cancel our lunch dates because I couldn't bare hearing your lovely voice rambling or manage to have you so close. I kept it strictly professional. I no longer open the blinds to get a view of you while you work in your office. I went as far as to limit how many interactions we have throughout the day. But even those few occasions, where we had to interact, pains my heart. My heart would jolt whenever I lay my eyes on you or get a whiff of your perfume and it always made me crave for more. But I ignored it. I ignored you.

It was another day in my office, and I was replying to a few emails when I came across one with your name attached to it. My heart jolts in my chest, and I gently rub at it as if I was rubbing away the pain. I decided to skip it because I didn't want to see what you had to say and carry on with my day.

The day was finally coming to an end, and I was unbelievable exhausted. My back ached from sitting for so long, and my fingers ached from typing. I was completely drained. Despite the fact that my brain was exhausted, your email came to the forefront of my mind, and I realized that it was stupid of me to ignore it because of my emotions. It could be work related. With that thought, I scrolled to the top of the page, where your email sat, waiting for me. When I opened it, the first words that greeted me were "Resignation Letter," and I froze. I stared at the words, as if I couldn't decipher the meaning. I felt numb as my eyes brush across the letter, each word seeming hard to understand. Was this for real. This can't be for real right.

I pressed the button beneath my desk and waited impatiently for your office to appear. Empty. That's exactly what it was. I looked up at the clock above my door seeing that it was 5:30 p.m. Work ended thirty minutes ago. Were you even present today? I pause, trying to recall if I had seen you throughout the day but couldn't. You might have gone home early, I reasoned. But as I returned my gaze to my screen, to the letter, to the words that were taunting me, I realized that it was real. You weren't here anymore.

I rushed out of my office to my car and race over to you, breaking a few red lights. I park in your driveway, before swinging open the door and rush to your door. I knock several times but there was no answer. I quickly pulled my phone from my pocket, dialling your number. It rang for a few seconds before you answer, and I exhaled a sigh of relief.

"Hello?" your voice called out.

"What was the reason for that letter Ms. Rose?" I breathe out.

It went silent on you end and I asked again, this time my voice raising.

"I resigned Mr. Thorne, effective immediately." She replied.

My grip tightens on my phone, as if I was going to break it. "I saw that Ms. Rose, I just wanted to know why the fuck you sent me something like that," I snarled. My heart pounding rapidly within my chest.

You stayed silent, which irritate me even more. "I'm at your house, where are you?"

"Uh-well, I'm no longer livi-living there," you whimpered.

I growled. Clenching and unclenching my fist. I've never been so angry in my life. "Where are you?" I replied, my voice chilling to my own ears.

"I- I- I have to go. I'm sorry", you ended the call before I could reply. I flung my phone to the pavement, hearing it shattered to pieces. "Fuck" I screamed.

I got back into my car, slamming the door shut. I need a drink I thought. I race back home, my mind being completely out of it. I wasn't sure how I made it home unscathed. I slam open my door, yanking my tie from neck and ripping off my clothes. It felt as if I was suffocating.

I made my way to my cabinets and pull out the strongest liquor I could find and turn it at my head. I don't want to feel this pain. It felt like there was a hole, growing in my chest, knowing that you had left. The ground shook and my legs wobble before I fell.

I took another drink, loving the way it burned my throat. How could you do this to me? How could you? I stood up, wanting to break something. My anger came back at full force, and I was seeing red. I swipe the vase off the table, before throwing the table against the wall. I punch the wall repeatedly, not caring that my fist was becoming bruise and oozing blood. As the adrenaline ware off, I took another swing of the bottle. Taking a big gulp.

I slid down the wall, holding my head in my hands, next thing I knew I was succumbed to darkness.