Chapter 8

Date: 02-04-1990

As the weeks passed, you continued to leave my morning treats on my desk. You no longer join me for lunch. I miss our lunch dates, despite how much I appreciate those treats. I miss hearing your voice and your rambles about anything and everything. I miss having you closer. But I never wanted to push you or overstep any boundary, so let it be. I continue to watch you from afar.

I only hear your lovely voice whenever I requested files, or when you and Ms. Thylon would be having a conversation.

I sat here, trying to concentrate, but my mind wouldn't let me. The more I pushed myself, the worse it became. I gave up and slammed my laptop shut. I slump back into my chair, exhaling a frustrated sigh. I move my gaze to your office, where you and Ms. Thylon are laughing at something you said.

God, I miss hearing and seeing you laugh. I reach for the button that will allow me to hear what is being said in her office. I knew it wasn't right. But I miss you so much.

As your voice drifts through my office. My entire body began to relax.

"How it go afta uh confront him?"

"How did it went after you confronted him?" Mrs. Thylon inquired. You rolled your eyes.

"The likkle shit denied it, even afta me show him all the evidence. When him finally admit it, him start cry before hyperventilating"

"The little scumbag denied it, despite the fact that I had shown him all of the evidence. When he did finally admit it, he began to cry before hyperventilating."

"A panic attack?" Ms. Thylon exclaimed.

"Ye, yuh believe it? Me just sidung deh and watch him, and all me could a thing bouh was, "look pon this shit."

"Yes. Can you believe it? I just sat there and watched him. All I could think was, "Look at this shit."

"You didn't," Ms. Thylon uttered, laughing.

"I did, yes, I did. Him neva did a panic when him balls deep inna the bitch, was he?"

"I did, yes I did. He wasn't panicking when he was ball deep in that bitch, was he?"

"Me throw him and him things dem right thru the door and change the locks."

"I throw him and his belongings out of my house and change the lock." Ms. Thylon begins clapping while laughing.

"Now tell me how you're feeling, and be honest," she said as she moves closer to your desk.

"To be honest, me feel okay. Me feel like a completely different person. That relationship was toxic and because we deh fi so long, me allow it fi get worse. Me give him the upper hand but not anymore. Him can kiss my ass."

"To be honest, I'm feeling okay. I feel like a completely different person. That was a toxic relationship, and because we'd been together for so long, I let it get worse. I allowed him to always have the upper hand. But not anymore. He can kiss my ass," I chuckled as you rolled your eyes again. I've never heard you curse before. It was quite amusing.

"And, strangely, he should never have cheated. He's not particularly gifted in that area. Just flaunting his disabilities. Allowing that girl to know what I took during our four years together." I couldn't help but laugh when you and Ms. Thylon burst out laughing. You're so cruel.

"Do you have your eyes on anyone?" Ms. Thylon inquired, turning her head in my direction, as if she sensed that I was listening. I held my breath, as you blushed. "Uhm- well," you began. But before I was able to hear what you said next, my phone rings. I groaned, pulling out my phone. It was my best friend; J'quan. "This better be good," I grumbled as I answer the phone.