Chapter 10

Date: 02-06-1990

We return to our usual routine. With you greeting me with your beautiful voice and lovely treats in the morning, then joining me lunch. Everything was right with the world again.

We had to stay late one night to work out an issue with one of our Airbnb. It was due for renovation, and I couldn't decide how to do it. For the first time in my life, I felt stuck, and I desperately needed your assistance. You order food, and we spend the rest of the night brainstorming ideas and having friendly banter.

We were both exhausted after four hours and decided to take a break. You were the first to stand up, and I quickly followed. You went to get your phone from the couch, and I went to stand at the window, looking out over the streets. It looks very different at night. It was busier and brighter, with different colours clashing with one another.

"Come dance with me." Your voice drew me out of my thoughts, and I spun around to face you. "Huh?" dumbly,I replied. You laugh before walking towards me. You came to a halt in front of me and took my hand in yours. As Michael Bublé- Sway played over the speakers in my office you pulled me close. My insides began to melt as we began to sway to the music. Is this how I'll feel when I finally make you mine? If that's the case, I'll be the happiest man on the planet.

I drew you closer in my arms, enjoying how your body fit perfectly, as if you were made for me. You wrapped your arms around my neck and rested your head on my chest, and I'm sure you could hear how rapid my heart was beating. I gulped, suddenly nervous.

As the music faded out, you looked up at me, and everything around us seemed to have slowed down. It felt like it was only me and you in this world. I stared into your warm eyes as we both began to move closer by an unknown force. I watch as your eyes move from my eyes to my lips and then back to my eyes and I took that as an approval and crash my lips onto yours.

It felt like fireworks were going off. You have no idea how long I've been wanting to do this. Your lips were soft and warm to the touch. So lovely. I pull you closer and deepen the kiss as you let out a small moan. Was this heaven? If so, I never want to leave. We kissed until my lungs began to burn and I realized we needed to stop for air. But do I really need it? If I die, I will die a happy man. But I probably die leaving you, for someone else. No that can't happen. With that thought, I pulled away, allowing us to breathe.

As we both came down from the high, you froze. "Are you okay?" I looked down at you, concern. "I-I have to go." Before I could say anything else, you grabbed your belongings and rush out the door. I wanted to rush after you, but I decided against. Maybe you became overwhelm and needed to leave. Even though it pained me, I decided to call it a night and head home.

I could still feel your lips against mine. The way your body fit perfectly into my arms. Your sweet moan could still be heard in my ears.

I had no idea how I feel asleep, being that I kept tossing and turning, thinking about how I was finally able to kiss your pink cherry lips.

You were the first thought that popped into my head when I opened my eyes. I've never rushed so quickly to get to work. It was as if I was dying to see it.

As soon as I got settled in my office, there came a soft knock on the door, before it was push open and you entered with your usual greetings. I smiled softly as I accepted the goods, before letting my eyes roam over you. You were dressed in a black long sleeve dress that fit your body like a second skin. It highlighted your curves perfectly. Your hair was done in a style that resemble a Locs, and you wore no makeup other than lip gloss. You're always stunning, and the more I stare at you, the dirtier my thoughts become. I clear my throat and turn away, last night flashing through my mind. I look back at you, opening my mouth to say something, but you beat me to it. "The design for the Airbnb is on your desk. This morning, I went back over the few we chose last night and made some changes. You can go over them to see if you like the idea or want to use the originals." I nodded.

"Is there anything else you would need me for Mr. Thorne? I raise an eyebrow at the name. But decided not to comment on it. I shook my head, taking up the files.

You nodded before turning around to leave. Even after you left, I kept staring at the spot you were standing. What was that all about, I wondered.

I shrugged, pushing it at the back of head and focus my attention on work. We were approaching the start date of Mr. Coleman's project, and I needed to make sure that everything was in order.

As the day progressed, whenever we crossed paths, your tone was distant and cold, and whenever I commented on it, you either changed the subject or ignored the question. You avoided being in any close space even for a second. You avoided all physical contact, even eye contact. And it was become irritating.

Didn't last night meant anything to you? Did you regret it? Because I don't. My mind was racing, and it was only getting worse as the day was coming to an end. I won't let you go home, without an explanation. "Ms. Rose, could you please report to my office?" I order over the intercom, trying hard not to lose my cool.

You didn't respond, but I watched as you stood up and walked out of your office, then to mine.

"Please take a seat," I instructed. You sat down quietly, your eyes fixed on me. I cleared my throat, figuring I'd better get right to the point. "Why are you avoiding me? Again?"

"I'm no- "Don't lie to me, Ms Rose." I clench my fist, my irritation worsens. "You barely spend a minute in the same room with me, and your voice is cold and distant whenever you speak to me. Now I'm going to ask again, and you better not lie to me." I growled.

"Why yaa avoid me?"

"Why are you avoiding me?"

It was quiet for a few moments as I awaited your response. You slowly raise your eyes, meeting mine before looking away once more. "Last night," you murmured.

"What about last night?" I questioned, warily.

"What happened last night cannot happen again," you said firmly, staring me down. My heart felt like it sunk to the bottom of my stomach, as a lump form in my throat.

"Is that what you want?" I asked, my voice sounding cold. You frown before nodding.

"Very well then." I nodded. "You can go," I kept my face expressionless, despite the fact that my heart felt crushed on the inside. I wanted to be mad at you, but I couldn't. If you regretted, it then so be it. I looked away from you, my thoughts all over the place. I could feel your gaze on me, but I didn't return it. It was too painful to do so.

In my peripheral vision, I could see you standing up, opening your mouth to say something before deciding against it. Then you left. Left with my heart that you didn't even want. My body broke down as the door closed. All the emotions that I had been suppressing hit me at full force.

Was I not good enough for you? Why would you regret kissing me? I sure don't regret kissing you. I wanted you. Why don't you see that.

My temper getting the better of me, I picked up the vase on my table and hurled it at the wall. I watch as it shatters into pieces, the way my heart did. I pace around the office, trying to contain my rage and jealousy. I took a deep breath, before taking another, then another and another. Once I was calm enough, I went to stand in front of the window, looking out and clearing my mind.

I wish you could see me the way I see you. I wish you could like me the way I like you. I have many wishes, but the sad reality is that we never get what we wish for. I came to the realization that it might never happen, and that I'd just have to be who you see me as, and that's your employer.