Chapter Twenty-Two

˚₊໒🌙꒱Sunwoo₊˚

Sunwoo hated himself for asking it, but it'd been all he could think about during the meeting. The way Kevin looked so excited to see her, his gaze as it slid toward hers a few times during the meeting.

His wolf poked and demanded he find out if they dated.

Kevin was a regular alpha who came to meetings. Sunwoo couldn't continue seeing him every month without knowing if he'd been with jihyo or not.

The mystery would slowly kill him.

He wanted to know everything about Jihyo. The good and the bad. The past, and her dreams. It was part of being a mate. Needing to know everything so he could please her.

Jihyo's brows rose to her hairline, and she popped her hip to the side. "Seriously?"

Sunwoo's hands clutched the arms of the chair. "Seriously," he said before standing up. "I need to know if you fated him. I see Kevin every month, sometimes more, and I-I can't stand the thought of you two keeping a secret from me. it was in the past, I just want to know."

Jihyo pursed her lips, and her eyes narrowed to slits. "Kevin is from my pack, Sunwoo."

Sunwoo slid his tongue across his teeth in anticipation.

"Are you afraid there won't be enough left for you?" she asked, mocking him from earlier.

He chuckled humorlessly. "Jihyo. I'm not joking."

"I'm not joking," she said in a deep voice. "You're dramatic, Sunwoo," she added, walking towards the door of the conference room.

Sunwoo leaped forward, and grabbed her wrist gently, drawing her back to him. "You didn't answer my question, Jihyo."

"I didn't intend to."

Sunwoo felt his wolf press forward, and he watched her stare at his eyes. He figured his wolf was showing through. "Tell me. I told you."

Jihyo smiled as if she liked to tease him. "I've never dated Kevin. We grew up together. he was my friend before I left. Most of the pack was my friend."

Sunwoo released her wrist with a sigh of relief. He'd been happy they hadn't, because he didn't want to struggle with the image of them two together.

His wolf was prideful and jealous.

It was part of being an alpha.

It was enough that she had a boyfriend back home. She hadn't mentioned him, and Sunwoo wasn't going to bring him up, either. It was stupid for him to think that she would forget him, or that he wouldn't come looking for her, but a guy could dream, couldn't he?

"Then why did you leave if you had friends, and people liked you?" Sunwoo asked, gathering his belongings. "I've heard of shewolves being banished or abused, and wanting to leave because of that. But you seem to have enjoyed your childhood, what changed?"

Jihyo lost eye contact, and tapped her fingertips against her side. "I never wanted to be like the other shewolves in our pack. I didn't like the idea of being a midwife, or some submissive mate. I like my pack, but I didn't like pack life, per se. I always had high hopes that I could leave. When the witch doctor told me that my mate would die-"

"What?" Sunwoo asked.

Jihyo shrugged. "We had this crazy witch doctor in our pack for a long time that told me my mate would die before I met him. I always thought I was mateless, it was another reason for me to go out into the human world and blend in."

Sunwoo tucked his folders underneath his arm. "That's insane. I guess he was full of it."

"It seems like it."