Chapter Two

˚₊໒🌙꒱Sunwoo₊˚

"I don't have time for a wanna-be family get-together. Dad. Jacob sniffed out a rogue on the west side of the grounds. i need to go figure it out."

The look of disappointment his father gave him settled heavily into his gut. Alpha of the Dark Moon Pack and yet his father's stern look still made him feel like a thirteen-year-old kid.

"Son, she's called her daughter down from the city to come-"

Sunwoo gave him a deadpanned look. "Her daughter doesn't live in the pack with her?"

His dad sighed, and swiped his palm down his face. "No, Sunwoo. She moved out and went to college. She is mateless, and moved on with a boy she met there."

Sunwoo had a strong disapproval of wolves who abandoned the pack that raised them. To each their own, but it showed a lack of character in his eyes. If they met their mate, and they were from another pack, fine. Whatever.

But leaving just didn't sit right with him.

Sunwoo leaned his elbows against his desk and eyed the door behind his father's head. Jacob would come through the door at any moment to see where their alpha was hidong.

"After I handle this rogue, I will come by for a little bit," Sunwoo said.

Sunwoo didn't mind his father finding someone. His mother had abandoned the pack at an early age, and left Sunwoo and his brother with their father. Pushing his fingers into his sandy brown hair, he controlled his irritation.

"Thank you, son," his dad said. His salt-n-pepper hair was combed neatly to the side, and his clothes were ironed nicely. He liked this woman, and Sunwoo was happy for him. Sunwoo had met her a few times before. She was pretty, with red hair and a funny personality.

Standing up, Sunwoo walked towards the door to meet jacob. When it flung open. Jacob, his talky beta, looked pissed.

Sunwoo didn't blame him-he was late.

"I'm coming," he said, shoving past Jacob. "have the others caught the rogue or did they just sniff him out?"

Jacob hurried to catch up. "They were chasing him." He wasn't as tall as Sunwoo, and his legs were shorter. "What did you dad want?"

"Wants me to come to dinner with him and his new lady friend. She is bringing her daughter i from the city. I told him I'd stop by after, not that I care to meet a she wolf that abandons her pack."

Jacob chuckled. "Dude, drop that 16th century crap-"

Sunwoo's wolf growled and Jacob respected it with a slight bow. "Sorry, but you know what I mean." He pointed towards the edge of the field. "It looks like they've caught someone."

Sunwoo raced toward the two wolves holding a rogue captive. The rogue looked ferak, with wide brown eyes and a snarl that mimicked a demon. "What do we have here," he asked. "You lost?"

He spat. "Does it look like I'm lost?"

"Actually," Jacob started, "I think it looks like you've wandered onto the wrong side of the river. Why are you here? You know this is our territory. There is no way you didn't smell it."

His feral smile returned.

Sunwoo didn't like the look of him. "Put him in the dungeon. Then have the others search the grounds in case he has any friends."

The rogue laughed. "You have no idea, do you?"

Sunwoo stopped as he was turning to leave, and glanced over his shoulder. "Idea about what?"

"You will. You'll know soon enough."

The wolves exchanged glances, while Sunwoo felt something tug at his chest. He pressed his fist against it, and tried to rub the tingle away. Then it touched the base of his neck and traveled down his back.

It woke his wolf, who'd been bored with the rogue situatu=ion.

That smell. It was the smell, the only smell he'd cared about for the rest of his life.

It was her.

Sunwoo turned fully away from the rogue and stared out at the field. There was no one in sight. He didn't know of anyone new that was coming to pack land, because everyone had to be approved first.

Wait. She was bringing her daughter from the city.

"Oh, my god," Sunwoo mumbled.

"What is it?" Jacob asked, looking out at the empty field. "What do you see?"

Sunwoo pointed blindly behind him. "Take him to the dungeon. I'll be down to check on him in a bit."

He rushed toward his father's two-story house on pack land, ignoring Jacob's call from behind him. Sunwoo's wolf howled and turned in excited circles. When Sunwoo turned twenty-five and hadn't yet found his mate, he'd stopped hoping. Most mates were found before the twenty-first birthday.

Sunwoo's jeans were covered in dirt by the time he made it to the small road that linked the pack houses together in their small community. He didn't care.

Hajoon's car sat in the driveway next to his dad's pickup. The scent of his mate hit him hard in the stomach, nearly knocking him onto his ass. The feeling of losing control began to numb his movements. He needed to go to her. Shoving open his childhood home's front door, he talked into the kitchen, his body humming with adrenaline.

His father stood from the kitchen table. "Son, did you break the door-"

"Where is she?" He growled, his fingers curling into fists beside him.

His dad glanced at the empty spot at the table. There was no food on the plates, which meant they were waiting for him to start dinner. "Where is she!?" he screamed when no one answered.

Hajoon cleared her throat. "She left. Uh, your scent scared her. Are you two mates?"

His scent scared her. "Scared her? Her fated mates scent scared her? What in the hell does that mean?

"Calm down, son," his father said. "She's seeing someone in the city-"

The alpha inside of him broke free, and his wolf pushed through the veil that separated the two. Sunwoo shifted in the dining room, crashing into the banister of the stairs next to him.

"Dammit, Sunwoo," his father mumbled. "Not again."