Chapter Seventeen

˚₊໒🌙꒱Jihyo₊˚

Her mom slid her plate of food across the table, leaned her elbows against the cabinet, and stared. Jihyo scooped up a piece of food and stared back. "Stop it. You're creeping me out."

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

Jihyo shoved the food into her mouth and chewed. "Pissed. I don't want to be here. I already feel trapped, and I haven't been here but a few hours."

Her mom frowned. You would love it if you gave it a chance."

She gave her mom a deadpan look. "mom, I grew up in a pack. I'm not missing anything. A pack is a pack no matter the alpha."

"I bet we'll prove you wrong," her mom said, slapping the counter. "I'm going to get dressed. You eat, and... don't go-"

"Anywhere," Jihyo finished. "I'm going to stay. Reluctantly, but I am going to stay. I need to figure out what I'm going to tell everyone back home, and Seojun." Jihyo sighed heavily.

Mom crinkled her nose. "Tell him you moved to Alaska."

Jihyo rolled her eyes but continued to eat her food, while her mom went to get ready for the day. She was starving after her run for her life. Some good food would help her wolf regain energy.

Jeongho disappeared somewhere around the house, leaving Jihyo by herself. She finished and found herself walking around, being nosy. She walked up the stairs and found her way to Sunwoo's old room.

He had better taste as a kid. At least the kid in him liked something other than blue and gray.

She sat down in the middle of his twin-sized bed and looked down at the flat rug beneath her feet. The desk in the corner of his room had papers stacked on them.

"I don't mind if I do," she whispered, walking over and shuffling through the top few.

A picture of a woman holding a young Sunwoo stared up at her. His mother. Jihyo's mom didn't mention what happened to her, but she wanted to find out.

"It's rude to snoop in other people's things."

Jihyo dropped the picture and turned her back against the desk. Sunwoo stood in the doorjamb of his old room, staring at her.

"Yeah, well, it's rude to kidnap people and rub your scent all over their things. We're even."

Sunwoo's gaze dropped to the picture. "She abandoned us, and the pack when I was eight years old."

Jihyo's chest tightened. Maybe that was why he hated that she didn't like pack life. Because his own mother abandoned him. "I'm sorry," she said. "That sucks."

Sunwoo shrugged. "We've both lost someone we love."

"Whose room is across the hall?" Jihyo asked, her gaze skating over toward the hallway.

"My brother, Younghoon. He left years ago."

"Aren't you mad about that?"

Sunwoo's face turned stormy. Turns out his father was the only consistent person in his life. "That's a story for another time."

Jihyo pursed her lips, not knowing what to say, so she stared back like a freak.

"Tonight, after dinner, I want to show you around the pack grounds. Maybe... go for a dip."

Jihyo imagined taking a dip in any water with this man, and the consequences that would come along with it. It would be hard to fight her wolf off.

Being naked around him made Jihyo's mind turn to mush.

"Maybe," she finally said, because his stare had become too much. "What are we going to do now?"

"I thought I would eat then work on some things at my desk. Maybe I can introduce you to some of the shewolves-"

Jihyo scoffed. "No thanks. Did you see the way they stared at me, Sunwoo? They know Soojin, and are going to side with her-"

"I'm the alpha, and I choose you. They will get over it, won't they?" He turned. "You don't have to meet them all now. You can... hang out with me if you want."

"You got a laptop I can use?" she asked. "I need to check in with my classes."

Sunwoo nodded. "Sure." He left her standing in his old room. "Stop going through my things!" he shouted from the end of the hallway.

Sunwoo worked in silence. Once they made it to his office, Jihyo expected him to turn on some background music. The TV. Something other than the sound of one another breathing.

It was making her eye twitch.

"Can you please turn on some music?" Jihyo asked.

Sunwoo glanced over with a deadpan look. "You'll work better without background noise."

"Says who?" she asked.

"Says me," he said, clicking on his computer.

Jihyo pursed her lips. "I want to go to your room and work, so I can listen to music."

Sunwoo sat back in his chair. He looked almost hurt that she didn't want to be there with him. "Okay," he said exasperatedly. "What kind of music do you listen to?"

"Whatever. I just need something. It's too quiet."

He fiddled around with his laptop, and then Sam Kim came over the speakers. It was not what she expected, but she'd take it.

Sunwoo stood from his desk, and stretched his arms above his head, a slither of skin showing from the end of his t-shirt and the top of his jeans, a few hours later.

"Alright. Dad just texted me. They want us to come over. Do you need to change?"

Jihyo glanced down at her clothes and over at him. "Does Nayeon have anything that doesn't cut off my circulation?"

He sized me up. "Do you want new clothes?"

Jihyo blinked. "I want my clothes." Though she wouldn't admit, some new clothes would help her out.

"I'll send some wolves to get your clothes tomorrow. How about I ask her if she has a dress?"

"That will work."

Sunwoo walked toward the door and stopped with his hand on the doorknob. "Did you think about tonight?"

Jihyo glanced over at his Brown eyes. Something tugged inside of her. SHe knew most of it was her wolf. But she almost felt like it was something different.

"Maybe for a little bit. I'm tired, and I don't sleep well in new places."

Sunwoo nodded. "Sure thing. I'll go get anything you need to make you more comfortable tonight. And..." He cleared his throat. "I'll sleep on the futon if you need the space."

He shut the door behind him before she could answer.

Don't kick him out if his bed, her wolf pleaded.

"Shut up, hussy. You just want to sleep with him."