「a brewing scheme」

"and who may you be?" the stranger asked in a snarky tone

"and who may you be?" the stranger asked in a snarky tone. as he looked at you, his eyes narrowed, and you wavered under his stare. he continued to leer at you until barbatos spoke up, a bit of amusement in his voice.

"y/n, this is mephistopheles, the leader of the r.a.d. newspaper club." barbatos smiled gently, a bit of sympathy twinkling in his eyes.

"oh!" you felt your muscles relax, and a small chuckle escaped from your lips. of course, you thought to yourself. who else could it possibly have been?

"nice to meet you!" you exclaimed excitedly, a grin beginning to tug at your lips. "i'm y/n, the new student here..."

your voice trailed off when you noticed that mephistopheles was still glaring at you rather oddly, a frown present on his face.

"hmm," he said, his tone a bit rough. "i still believe that you owe me an apology. or rather, owe my private chefs an apology."

"ah!" you chortled as you recalled the rather negative opinion that you had expressed towards the food that mephistopheles' chefs supposedly baked for the club. you glanced back at him a bit apprehensively, sighing.

"i'm sorry," you began, an apologetic tone in your voice, "and i would apologize to your private chefs... if they were here in the room with us. but for now, i hope that this can do."
you truly meant every single word you said, but you did feel slightly irritated with mephistopheles; honestly, the food did look stale.

mephistopheles continued to stare at you warily for a few more seconds, until he huffed out a "very well" and turned back around, walking away.

you sighed in relief, turning back to barbatos.
"that encounter did scare me a bit..." you informed him quietly as he chuckled yet again. "though i do see where he's coming from... i guess i should've been nicer?"

"as a baker myself, i do agree." barbatos responded bluntly, nodding. "though you were only simply expressing your opinion. it would have been more polite to compliment the food first before critiquing the food." barbatos said.
"in a gentle manner." he added, shooting an amused look towards you as you sighed yet again.

"yeah, that's my bad." you laughed, a bit embarrased. "but... oh well! i'll just keep that in mind for the future, yeah?"

"y/n!"
you heard levi's voice calling out to you. you began to giggle at the urgency in his voice.

"the otaku is calling me, it seems!" you chuckle to barbatos. "i'm gonna get going before he starts screaming-"

you were cut off by another one of levi's urgent yells: "y/n! QUICK!!"

"bingo." you murmured, grinning at barbatos. "gotta run now!"

"i'll see you in possibly about a few minutes, y/n." barbatos said, giving you a small wave, a hint of amusement glimmering in his eyes.