v.

KAKASHI AND SHISUI sigh as they enter the door of your room, feeling the tension between them and the other two Uchiha's awhile ago.

Who wouldn't be angered anyways?

Your supposedly husband is laughing joyously with another woman, while you lay in a hospital bed, not knowing what's happening outside the world you're in.

And the other fact is, they just knew that the love was always one-sided.

A hopeless one in fact.

It doesn't take a genius to know who's touch he really craves. The only flaw they saw beneath everything. They figured it out. It was keen in their eyes that you're the only one present in loving while one continues to push away the person who's loving him despite the cold wind she's always met with.

A love that you craved, only to be met with nothing but cold air. A warm house, only for it to be silent once you open the door. It was just painful.

So it pained, angered and frustrated both men present in the room as they silently stare at your still figure laying down.

It pained them knowing you may never wake up again.

It's a price most shinobis pay. Whether they like it or not. They have to pay the price of being one, even in so much pain and frustration.

And they're just so sure that you're hiding behind a mask.

And yet you were smiling. Laughing as if you weren't hurting. Standing as if you weren't limping from falling somewhere high.

Loving as if it isn't hurting you.

You were...just there. Standing, as if already knowing no one will greet you 'welcome home, my dearest love. How was your day? Are you feeling tired? I'll run a bath for you.'

Because it was true.

Yet, you stand there. Tired, smiling, and gazing painfully with how he greets his love.

Chasing him as if he was a star you always wanted to see. A star you helplessly pray at night to be yours. A star that sees your love for it.

And yet, Itachi could never seem to bother himself into trying. You were running, trying your best for him yet you were always met with an indirect  "try harder next time." And you did. You did until your hands were covered with dirt, feet aching tiredly, a hazy mind and an aching heart.

Chasing something that isn't going to be granted to you.

Chasing the happiness you never had.

Yet...at the end of the day, it was never there.

And that's the cost of loving too hard. The perfect flaw of loving was when it's unrequited. Yet, even with something unrequited, people chase and chase for the love they won't receive.

It's called 'unrequited love' for a reason. 

"I apologize for the behavior of my cousin. It seems he's not over her yet." Shisui started, lowly muttering an apology on his cousin's behalf as he held your hand in his. "You're not supposed to be apologizing for him. It isn't your fault to begin with." Kakashi replied back, frustration lacing his voice as he stared at you both.

"Well, I doubt anything will happen. Even with her in this condition...I think he'll only visit because he feels guilty or obligated to. Not because he loves her or anything." Croaked out the Uchiha, his throat hurting a bit as he muttered words he didn't want to.