40. A True Queen

Mish

That night they woke up in each other's arms, Xavier told her. He left nothing out. Though it was brutal, it was necessary. She felt relieved.

Finally, Uncle Philip was dead and he gave up concrete information to nail down the traitors in the Alliance.

The weeks that followed had been surreal.

Painstakingly rooting out spies and supporters of the Angel of Darkness.

Esmeralda and the kings were mostly gone. Traveling around the supernatural world. Offering protection. Strengthening ties.

Staking traitors.

It was no fun. But it had to be done.

Mish had missed mingling outside their properties. Her music became her solace in her isolation. Though it was bearable since she was sharing it with her sisters and their large family group.

Her beloved had recently arrived from another trip and was busy debriefing with the New Council. That could take a while.

She went on with her night. Munching on freshly baked fudge brownies while patting her belly thoughtfully. Sighing, she went back into her music.

Having been inspired these last few months, she has been composing songs to be able to produce a debut album.

Maestro Alberto had been thrilled. While she worked in the shadows, he was the front of her launching career.

Her life had been full of blessings lately despite threats looming on the horizon.

It would have been more complete if Indali was present. She missed that girl something fierce. Always wondering where her friend could be hiding.

Nostalgic, her fingers paused on the keys, sucking in a sharp breath when she felt her baby kicked for the first time.

"Xavier!" She cried out breathlessly.

In an instant, he was by her side, panic marred his features. Oops.

"What is it, moya lyubimyy? Are you hurting?" Inspecting every inch of her thoroughly, finding her free of injuries -forgetting she was supernatural and could heal almost instantly- he cupped her face.

She smiled gloriously at him. "Feel here. He moved, baby." Placing his hand on her rounded belly, they waited with excitement in their eyes.

Another strong rush of movements, rendered her breathless this time. "My prince. Stop playing ball." He chuckled. Kneeling, his face on her rounded belly, he murmured. "His heartbeat is so strong, beloved."

"This baby could be a princess, you know." She smiled teasingly at him.

Xavier scowled. "A princess? Goddess, help me." It was so rare for anyone to witness the vampire king so flustered like this. Anytime they discussed the possibility of a baby girl, his protectiveness knew no bounds.

"Whatever do you mean?" She raised her brow, daring him to say anything that could potentially raise her hackles. Mish had a short fuse these days.

"I can't deal with daughters, moya lyubimyy. They would be so beautiful like you. Suitors would line outside our doors and I would be forced to kill those unworthy bastards!" Though his tone lacked vehemence and he was watching her warily.

Instead, Mish was laughing at the end of his tirade and he had to hold her with a stupid grin on his face. "You will survive, babe. Trust me."

"Nope. I command you to only bear me princes."