16. Questions Upon Questions

Mish

The breeze of the late afternoon wafting through the opened balcony caressed her cheeks. Inhaling deeply, her eyes fluttering open, calmly feeling the room she was confined in, wondering how long she was out. 

She could recall the last time she had felt fully rested before and that was waking in Xavier's arms. Her lips lifted in anticipation. 

Stretching her lax muscles on the mammoth softness of her bed, she felt for him. His side of the bed was cold. Alone, blinking, she gazed around. Disappointed.

Where was he? Surely, he would not just leave her here alone, right? This was not the hotel. Nor was she in her quarters back at her sister's mansion.

Last night, though barely lucid, she knew Xavier was bringing her home. To his, apparently.

Closing her eyes briefly, she tried to think what her next step would be. Should she stay or call her sisters to get her? That would surely end her independent streak. However, the time away from her vampire would give her time to think. The thought of being away from him hurt but she didn't want to be a clingy lover.

Before going home, she had to talk to him first. A long soothing bath would be ideal. She would search for him after she was more herself. Besides, she had to assess the damage that had been done to her. Though she couldn't feel any pain at the moment, it didn't mean her back was a pleasant sight to look at. She could practically remember each perfect landing of the sharp whip on her skin, her flesh protesting in pain before breaking.

Mish shivered at the memory. She had been so stupid. Trusting so easily, her faulty trait was becoming a nuisance, becoming a victim of her own doing. Twice.

Apparently, she had been in the same boat before. She just couldn't figure out when and where. But she was confident she would remember it, soon. There was a constant throbbing in her head as she tried to, so she would let it rest for now.

Despite what she had endured, she would send out people to search for the little girl and her mother. She hoped they were hiding somewhere safe. Unless the girl was a witch and sent to trick her. 

She bit her inner cheek. That was a possibility and she fell for it. 

Sighing, cursing her stupidity, she gingerly got up from the downy softness of her bed. Shrugging into the silk robe at the foot of it, she walked around the spacious room until she found what she was looking for. Passing by a wall-to-wall walk-in closet, she entered another part of what she was guessing must be Xavier's domain. 

The bath she found was just as impressive as the one she had at home. Or maybe bigger. A state-of-the-art jacuzzi was definitely an improvement. The deep and spacious tub could fit at least ten people. In awe, she checked every drawer and found the things she usually kept in stock in hers. Scented bath salts and potions. Her favorite perfume and the delicate soap she loved were neatly stacked on the vanity. She was pretty sure the wardrobe was filled with everything she needed, too.

Mish stood in the middle of the room for a moment, puzzled, gazing in wonder at her reflection in the mirrors. Dressed in a piece of cloth, very much naked underneath, she looked...fresh.

And healthy.

Her cheeks were tainted with a delicate rosy blush. Her hazels were bright and alert, with no bluish half-circles underneath.

She tilted her chin up, studying the woman before her. She looked different but not. Her neck looked delicate and only his mark of possession decorated the juncture meeting her shoulder. Which was odd. She knew from memory, the assailant had manhandled her to subdue her until her vision blackened. Had fought hard him, too. So, she must have bruises. Everywhere.