Marriage Material

" I don't know, Mira." Jewel spoke up.

"Just tell me what happened." Mira was all ears.

"Its like....... I am destined to mess up."
Jewel wiped a tear that was sliding through her right cheek.

"Did Jackson say so?
Let me guess. Is it his mother?"
Mira knew Lizzy might be a problem the moment she saw her pull Jackson close to herself, while posing with the bride and groom for a picture, on their wedding day.

"Nobody says anything. Its this silent treatment. I might have messed up as well."

"What do you mean? What did you do?"

"First, I suck at chores."

"There is a maid at his house,Jewel. I am not saying you shouldn't do chores, but girl! Come on, you have a very busy career. Don't be so hard on yourself. Plus, you can learn them if you want to!"

"No, Mira. You are not getting my point."

"Then tell me in detail."

"His mother doesn't approve of me."

"Well, thats on her. Don't tell me, its a mother-in-law issue?"

"She is just a tad bit possesive, I believe"

"Explain,Jewel."

Mira wanted to be sure, before judging the situation.
Jewel had a lot to say.

In short, Jewel didn't feel like she belonged to that house.

Lizzy always talked about the women Jackson rejected to marry Jewel. About how pretty they were, how homely they were and how deserving they were.
"She wants me to worship him"

Now, Mira was on the same page.

"Ah,I see! She must be saying Jackson is too good for you.Is that it?"

"Exactly! as if I am some sidechick who seduced the main character." Jewel was reminded of all those moments, where her confidence was attacked by unnecessary comparisons.

"What about that honeymoon which you guys keep postponing?"

" Jackson said-'Wherever you want to go.'"

"You didn't wanna go anywhere?"
Mira was confused.

"Ha, Not me silly"
Jewel took another sip and sighed. She pushed hair away from her face and said.
"His mother did not approve of any of the places I suggested. Either the weather isn't great or the crime rate of the place I pick maybe high or Jackson might get a cold or indigestion if he stays away for too long. I don't even know how to explain this. By the end of the day, I am a wife who doesn't care enough of her godly-husband's health or preferences "

"What does Jackson say?"

"He does not. He just nods to whatever his mother says"

"What does that mean? Tell him all your worries... Let him know his mother is harsh on you"

" He wants me to deal with it. Besides its a bit pathetic to complain about his mother to him. He doesn't want to get in between his wife and mother. You know, take sides... "

"Jewel, what is the real issue?"

"I am not happy,Mira. Its a big house, new people, I'm just frustruated all the time. Its getting worse."

"As in?"

Jewel paused and looked at Mira and said

"I am pregnant. 2 months."

"Thats great news,Jewel..Thats... Oh,oh..wait a min"
Mira was a bit scared now..She asked
"You don't want this baby?"

" Don't turn me into a villain now. I don't know if I am ready."