The Blind Date

Brown eyes, black wavy hair, fair skin, a sharp jawline, lean and muscular physique........looks like he works out! Jewel checked out her blind date the moment he walked in. It was the fifth guy she was meeting in a month and she was already sick of it. She had decided to be a 'yes' if he looked decent. Her age was making her parents panic.

Unlike the other guys, this one was on time. He was wearing a white shirt with a navy-blue colored jacket and formal pants. Head to toe this guy looks like he came straight out of a magazine's business page.

Compared to him, she looked average. Dressed in blue jeans, black full sleeve boat neck kurti and paired them with silver Chandbali earrings. She didn't like wearing necklace and her collar bone was very prominent. Her chocolate-brown colored hair was tied into a ponytail that reached up until her shoulder.

"I hope I am not late" The guy said as he sat in front of her.
"No. You are actually on time. I am Jewel. Nice to meet you" Jewel replied with a faint smile though she was pretty surprised that this guy recognized her in one glance. They had never met each other except for the photos their parents showed them. But photos can be deceiving because Jewel was chubbier and fairer in her 2 year old photo.

"I am Jackson Lizzy Martin

"I am Jackson Lizzy Martin."
He extended his left hand for a handshake. It was sweaty.

"Oh! I am sorry" He wiped it with a tissue.
" Shall we order? "
Jewel was hungry.

" Please " Jackson handed her the menu.

She ordered a burger and milkshake while he ordered a coffee.

It was awkward but they slowly started the conversation.
"My mother said you are a doctor. May I ask what kind of doctor you are? Like what is your specialization?"

Damn! He just tapped her insecurity.

"I am a pathologist."
She replied.
"What do you treat?" Jackson took a sip of his coffee.
'"I don't treat. I analyze specimens and diagnose. Its a non-clinical job"
"Hmm.." He nodded.

What was that Hmm?" Are you disappointed that I am not a surgeon like my brother and father? " Jewel wasn't surprised

What was that Hmm?
" Are you disappointed that I am not a surgeon like my brother and father? " Jewel wasn't surprised. Her great-grandfather was the first surgeon of the town. His descendants followed that tradition except Jewel, who barely survived medical school and couldn't get a great rank in the medical post graduate's entrance exam and decided to just go for whatever she was eligible. She didn't choose pathology out of passion but frustration. She was sick of wasting her precious years of her 20s just to keep up with her sibling and cousins. Jewel was never the best in anything she did.