Chapter 36

Blinking against the bright sunlight, I am thrown into a state of panic. Sitting straight up, my foggy sleep brain tries to make sense of what is happening around me.

I'm in the hangar, in Ronan's arms. We're crammed into the passenger's seat of the car. The large door to the warehouse is open letting the crisp morning air in.

Most jarring, we're not alone. There are at least fifteen An'eo trying desperately to avoid making eye contact with me.

"Ronan," I frantically whisper, turning to find him sleeping beneath me. The sun is bright, the air is cold, and we're surrounded by people quietly working but he's completely peaceful. For a moment everything around us is forgotten. I've missed waking up beside him. We spent the night in a cramped car seat, crushed together with no space to move or stretch out. Yet, somehow, I'm more rested than I've felt in weeks.

Cupping his chin, I press gentle kisses to his lips. Last night we talked until we fell asleep. I hadn't realized it was happening. We sat, holding each other. My body curled into his and I drifted away slowly.

The sound of his voice whispering in the dark and the rhythmic thump of his heart made it happen so slowly that I didn't feel it coming.

He hums and his eyes flutter open. The way he looks at me makes me feel like the only thing in the world that matters. He doesn't notice how squished together we are, or that we have an audience. His eyes never leave mine as he takes my face in his hands.

"I have never rested so well," he doesn't kiss me, instead he runs his thumb over my lip. Leaning in, I watch his eyes, waiting for him to move. We kissed once last night. My lips are desperate for his. My mouth craves the taste of his tongue.

"Can I kiss you?" He has never asked me that before. We have to adjust to this again, to us. After a fight like the one we had, everything feels fragile and unstable. He doesn't want to mess it up. Neither do I.

"Please, kiss me," my voice is raspy and low.

His lip twitches, tugging up at the corners as he tips my chin up. The world fades away and we're floating, alone, in a wide open void. Nothing exists but his lips. There is no one else, there never was. What started off sweet, quickly grows. Heated flames lick at my skin as he starts to demand more. The tight grip of his hands moves down my back to slide into the back of my pants, gripping my skin. He's not holding back anymore. The trepidation from just a moment ago is forgotten, washed away by the wetness of our mouths.

He groans, sucking the air from my lungs as he uses his grip to pull me closer to him. My hands fist through his hair, pressing myself into him as hard as I can. His chest is molded into mine, my hips are open, holding him between my legs. It's still not close enough.

I want to crawl beneath his skin, to flow through his veins. I want to be the air that he breathes.

"I missed you."

The sounds that spill into my mouth from his, the raspy sighs, makes my blood burn.

"Apologies for the interruption, Commander, there is a message from Secondary Commander." A voice rings out and we both stop.

I let out a whimper, frustrated before I notice his smile.

"You understand."

"Yeah, I do," a smile creeps onto my face despite my disappointment.

He wraps his arms around me, pulling me into his chest as he calls out to start the video message from his brother. His angry face appears on the wall just across the garage. His gravelly voice barks out angrily in An'eo, I would probably be able to understand him if I was able to pay attention but I can't. For the first time in several minutes, I realize we are not alone.