Chapter 23

"Olexa, please." I'm practically begging as soon as we dropped Santi and Clarisse in their rooms. She won't tell me what happened but I can see that she wants to. She's holding it back. I'm hoping that if I pester her enough she will break.

Down two hallways and up one flight of stairs, I keep at it. Asking, begging, annoying.

"Did I do something wrong?"

With a heavy sigh, she places her hand on my shoulder and almost pulls me toward my room. I'm winded and in a full run by the time we get to the hallway. She slides the door closed and puts her hands down on both of my shoulders.

"You touched his hair." Her eyes look like they're about to fall out of her head.

"What?" I wasn't expecting that to be the grave offense.

"Ronan. The Royal Commander of Earth Fleet. You touched his hair..." She emphasizes each word like that is supposed to somehow illuminate the horrible atrocity that I've committed.

"And that is...bad?"

"Nicole, It is unthinkable..." she sinks down onto the end of my bed.

"Olexa, you're scaring me. What did I do? Is touching his hair illegal or something?" I'm starting to panic. That twisting nauseous feeling of uncertainty and impending punishment claws at my stomach.

"On An'eo hair is sacred. The only time it is touched by someone is when they honor you by washing it. Even that is a rare occurrence. Ronan never allows anyone who offers."

"Wait, what?" Memories flood my mind. "I've touched his hair lots of times. When we got here... those women that washed us..."

"They asked for the task. They wished to honor you, people of earth."

I can't dwell on how sweet that is. There is too much panic now.

"What does this mean? What happens if you touch someone's hair?"

"In my life, I have never seen it done the way you did it. Once during a combative struggle, one An'eo cut the hair of his opponent. He was immediately killed."

Killed? I sit down on the bed beside her and my chest tightens. He asked me to touch his hair... I can almost feel it, phantom silk in my hands. The memory of his body pressed against mine, warm and strong, while I gently scratch at his scalp tugs at my heart.

A gentle breeze blows against my skin and the warmth of the sun sweeps me up. He likes it when I touch his hair. A sacred, precious thing... he lets me, of all people, touch it.

"Nicole?" She drags me away from the gooey, warm feeling in my heart and back to reality.

Humming, I'm not sure I trust my voice. I feel a bit like crying, or laughing, or singing maybe.

"I fear for him," she sounds close to tears too but I doubt it's for the same reason.

"Why?"

"He has been challenged. The angriest voice at the meeting of regional heads was the brother of the deceased woman. He believes Ronan is unfit to command due to his leniency on me. And Gaia. Her family is out for blood. He will not punish us because we have done no wrong but they will not let it go." Her eyes well up with tears. "I was not concerned until now."

"Hold on," I jump up, "Her brother challenged him? What does that mean?"

"They will battle."

"Battle? What does that mean, Olexa? I need specifics!" Now is not the time for their irritatingly vague answers. Give me details!