Chapter 25

Tapping my pen anxiously against my notebook, I stare at the door, hoping that he will come in and inform me that the challenge has been canceled altogether.

"Nic," Santi reaches over and flattens his hand over mine, stopping my nervous fidgeting.

"Sorry."

"What's going on with you today?"

Groaning, I drop my face down against the table. "Well, Ronan is training today with Elite Navigator for the challenge that might kill him. So, you know, nothing much going on with me. Everything is fine."

"I've actually been meaning to talk to you about him," he says in a hushed tone.

When I sit up, I'm met with concern on his face. Unsure of where this is headed, I start to feel nervous. The look on his face is telling, whatever he's about to say, it's not good.

"I think you should be careful, Nicole. I've seen the way he looks at you. I'm not sure if you've noticed it but he seems, I hope this doesn't upset you, but he seems like he's-"

I'm not sure if it's the look on my face or the grunt sound that comes from Clarisse that makes him stop speaking but we all sit silently staring at each other. Me, in shock, Clarisse desperately trying to hold back laughter.

His eyes flick back and forth between us several times before he gasps and jumps up.

"Nicole! Please tell me you are not involved with him!" He looks absolutely disgusted.

"She's an adult, Arturo," Clarisse stands too, her hand angrily gripping her hip. Any traces of amusement are completely gone from her face, anger replacing them.

"Who cares, are you kidding me? She is an adult human. He's an alien! You can't possibly condone that!" He snaps at her. The way he emphasizes 'human' makes my stomach turn.

"Oh, please. You can't be serious," she scoffs.

"I'm completely serious! Are you actually sleeping with him? Nicole that is so unethical. It's like a cat and a worm trying to mate! We're doctors!" He throws his hands into the air.

"Hey, whoa!" I'm yelling more loudly than I should. "Who is the worm in this scenario, buddy? I am an adult, he is an adult, this is not like a worm and a cat, you jerk! I am of able mind and body and I can do as I please!"

"I'm shocked at both of you. It's disgusting! Is he forcing you? They are bigger and more powerful. Do you feel like you can't say no? Did he threaten to kick us out if you didn't?"

"What? No! Did you hear me? I am not being forced. How dare you-"

"How dare I?" His sharp yell startling me. "We're the last people on earth and you're screwing an alien?"

"Are you jealous or something?" Clarisse is yelling now too. "Did you think that the three of us were going to repopulate earth together? Hurensohn! You don't get to dictate our bodies under some kind of twisted notion that as the only man left they somehow belong to you!"

"I know you don't belong to me! It's just disgusting to think that you would have sex with something that's not even your species! You know it wrong, that's why you've been hiding it from me!"

"Not 'something,' someone." My voice is shakier than I would like it to be. "I wasn't hiding it from you. I just don't make a habit of talking openly about my sex life. Clarisse and I don't sit around discussing it, she just knows."

Tears prick in my eyes, welling up before spilling down my cheeks. What I feel about Ronan, it's not disgusting or unnatural. Maybe this hurts so much because somewhere, deep down, I'm afraid that he's right. I had reservations at the start.