Chapter 33

Jay's POV

"I think that's the last one," Nya pants, wiping a bead of sweat off of her forehead as she eyes the pile of guards she just took down. They're soaked from head to toe in a pool of mud as they groan and stir, but none of them try to get up.

"And you said that my powers were cool," I stop reclining on the wall and walk so I'm at her side. Wanting to save the rest of my powers for an emergency, Nya has been very adamant on single handedly taking down all of the guards that we've come across. She throws them around like rag dolls with her powers, and while I would love to get in on the action, I never thought that I would be content just watching things go down. All of her movements are mesmerizing and tantalizing. Watching the power and precision she uses with her abilities only further solidifies how badly I want her.

"Cause they are," her eyes flicker over to me, partnered with a little smile, before they finally reach the door. "I'd like to say it's a shame that we haven't ran into any elemental masters along the way here, but it honestly isn't. This place sucks."

"Tell me about it. I look like I've been swimming just because of how soaked I am in sweat, and I'm so zapped out that I can feel my body working slower than usual," I can't help but groan a bit as the sweat on my skin sticks to the air. I know it's my body's way of trying to cool itself down, but it just makes me feel gross, and I know that I look gross as well. "Do you sweat differently because you're the master of water?"

Nya lets out a little snort as the two of us pick up into a jog in the direction of the elemental army. "I can make it so I don't sweat, if that's what you mean, but since it's a negative feedback loop, I'd rather not prevent my body from getting back to equilibrium."

"Fair. Oh, by the way, once we get to the elemental army, I'm going to let you do all of the talking," I inform her.

She looks back at me with a teasing glint in her eyes, but I can practically feel the nervous energy leaping off of her skin. "Oh yeah? Are you at a loss for words?"

"Pfft you wish. While some of those people knew me and still blindly hunted me down, and I would absolutely love to just order them around, I have no idea what they've been through here, and I don't want to make things worse. You can be the one who leads them out while I just help them out."

"We're both gonna need a drink when we get back," Nya sighs, bringing her middle and index fingers up to her temples and rubbing little circles.

"Tell me about it."

The two of us keep our pace as we run towards the elemental army, our feet hitting the dirt floor of the tunnels and creating a little dusty puff in our wake. Our trail shouldn't matter though since if things are going to plan, the majority of the unnatural elementals should be attacking Kai and Lloyd right now.

As we near the cells, a grumble of groans starts to fill the air. At the miserable sound, the two of us pick up our paces until we finally reach the long row of cells. The sconces on the walls barely illuminate anything, so I can only see dark silhouettes slouched over in their cells. Surprisingly, there are no guards actually in this area, but that could easily be because they rushed forward to defeat Nya and me earlier.

I can feel the vengestone weighing against my skin, trying to stifle my powers even though I'm not touching it. I feel them dampened, but not gone.

"Guys, it's me, Nya. We're going to get you out of here," she announces in an even voice that silences all of the groans.

All of their chains immediately start to rustle as they move, and I move my hand down to my bracelet to activate the buzz saw accessory. It quickly pops out, revealing the sturdy yet compactable blade that I designed.