Chapter 20

Seliel's POV

"You look stunning, your Highness. I'm certain the king of Trummeria will be smitten," the woman finishing my hair compliments me as she takes a glance at me in the mirror.

"That's what I'm afraid of."

Today is the day I've been dreading. A man twelve years older than me is coming to see if I meet his standards to be his bride, and I've been forced to doll up for the day. My lungs crushed in a corset to give me the perfect hourglass shape, I struggle to breath as I look at my dress. It's a teal dress with a significant v neck that hugs my body before flowing out at my waist. It is covered in silver accents that match with my necklace and earrings. To make it all even better, it feels like I'm wearing pounds upon pounds of makeup.

"I'm sure you will like him. I've heard that he's quite the charmer," she attempts to reassure me. "I, for one, would give anything to be in your shoes."

"It isn't all it's cut out to be," I sigh.

Suddenly, there is a knock at the door to my room. My heart quickly speeds up, about to beat out of my chest as my throat tightens. "You may come in," I manage to answer.

Cole opens the door, his expression completely blank. "The king has requested for you. The king of Trummeria has arrived with one of his troops. He wishes to meet you," he dryly delivers the message. My eyebrows slightly furrow at his demeanor.

"I assume you will be escorting me?" I stand up, brushing off my dress.

"Of course, Princess," after taking one last glance in the mirror to situate myself, I take my spot next to Cole, closing the door behind me before we start to walk.

"What's up? You're acting off," I immediately ask him, looking up at his hard features.

"This is all so wrong," he states. "I was supposed to have found a solution to this whole conflict by now, but I still can't find the last couple of pieces..." he runs a hand through his long, raven hair, tugging on it.

"No, no, no, you are not blaming this on yourself," I stop in my tracks. "I know you want to protect me from everything, but expecting to single handedly stop a war is delusional. Don't blame yourself."

He stops too, turning back to look at me. He starts to open his mouth before hesitating and closing it. "I need to. The moment he sees you, he's going to fall in love with you. He's never going to let you go if he can have you."

"What makes you say that? You can't be sure. Maybe I can scare him off," I suggest, trying to create some scenario where I can get out of this unscathed.

"You're gorgeous. Everyone who sees you wants you," he gives me a small smile as his eyes slightly gloss over. My heart starts to swallow me whole, and when I open my mouth to say something, he clears his throat before he starts to talk again,"We have to get going, the king will be outraged."

"O-of course," I try to regain myself, hustling back to his side. "Will you stay with me throughout today? I don't want to be alone."

"Anything for you, Princess."

"What do you plan on doing to stop the war?" I quietly ask him.

"It's better that you don't worry about it. I'll make sure you don't get hurt in any way, don't worry," he informs me.

"I want to help," I sternly respond. "I want to put myself out there for my people."

Cole looks at me, meeting my eyes and sighing. "No way."

"Come on, you're the one that's been training me to fight, and besides, this is my future. I want to have some control in what happens," I say with conviction.