Chapter 19

Nya's POV

When I finally decide to get out of bed, I can feel sleep deprivation throughout my body. My muscles and joints ache with each subtle movement. My head throbs, amplifying even more when I turn it. I can basically feel the dark bags under my eyes.

While I didn't initially have a hard time falling asleep last night, I couldn't stay asleep. I kept waking up every half hour before tossing and turning for fifteen more minutes and falling back asleep. It was a vicious cycle.

I can't let the awkward situation between Jay and I affect what we are trying to do. I didn't come here to reevaluate my love life. I came here to reunite the 5 most powerful elemental masters of all time. Yes, I did luck out with one of them being my brother and another being my soulmate, but that doesn't change the end goal. We are going to stop the unnatural elemental masters, especially now that we're picking up another member of the team.

He's yet another one of them that I've already met, albeit briefly. Honestly, I can't remember much of him other than his general demeanor and appearance. He was very composed and sophisticated, every word calculated (which makes sense now that I know he's a robot). With pale skin, nearly white hair, and light blue eyes, his appearance was striking. In hindsight, it makes sense that he's the master of ice. He's literally winter itself.

I throw on one of my nicer (yet functional) outfits, pull up my hair, and decide that it's time to have some breakfast considering my stomach feels like it's enveloping itself. Not knowing what time it is, I try to leave my room quietly in case anyone is still sleeping. From the hallway, I tip toe up to the main deck where the sun is blazing down, fitting because we're at the Sea of Sand.

The cloud cover has completely parted, revealing the dunes upon dunes beneath us. The hills of sand roll far into the distance, no form of life anywhere. Part of it is tranquil. It's impossible for us to get caught here. The other part is terrifying. If people can't survive out here, neither can we.

After just a few minutes on deck, I'm sweating buckets, my own element trickling down my skin. I decide to move off of the deck before I'm visibly drenched. Without even thinking about it, I let my stomach lead the way. I subconsciously gravitate towards the smell of PIXAL's pancakes, finding myself in the kitchen within a minute. However, when I see what is going on at the table, I freeze out of shock.

"Good morning, little sister. I made sure to save some bacon for you because this guy was going to eat all of it," Kai gestures towards Jay - who is sitting right next to him - with his thumb.

"Nuh uh, that's just a lie. I would never take the last piece from Nya. From you, on the other hand," Jay quickly reaches over and snatches the last piece of bacon off of Kai's plate. However, when he notices the heavy char all over it, he sets it back down. "You have the most disgusting preferences in food," he scrunches up his nose.

"The char adds flavor," Kai defends himself, taking a big bite of his bacon. The loud crunch makes Jay shiver.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, whatever."

"Oh Nya, it appears that you have awoken," PIXAL walks into the room, probably to clear off the table since the boys look like they're almost done eating.

I can't even respond. I'm still too surprised by the sight in front of me. Kai and Jay. Jay and Kai. They're sitting next to each other. They're talking to each other. They're looking at each other.

"Did you sleep poorly like Jay and Kai?" she asks when I don't respond.

"I honestly think I'm in a dream right now, so you'll have to ask me when I wake up," I rub my eyes, and the two of them are still sitting in front of me. Jay starts to laugh.