Chapter 16

Skylor's POV

"Excuse me, but why are we here in this deadbeat little town with 3 new recruits? I know the boss doesn't exactly communicate their plans clearly, but this sure has to take the cake. This seems to be important, yet she sent a whole squad of newbies to slow us down. We were able to take down the elemental army. We could definitely take care of these table scraps without any help" Briar, the master of size, turns to Tobias, complaining. Their green eyes are filled with annoyance, the subtle rage leaking out of their small frame.

Tobias, the master of magnetism and the leader of our team, turns back to Briar. He's about 6 inches taller than Briar, his dark complexion, eyes, and hair the ultimate contrast of his short counterpart's. "Last time I checked, none of the elemental masters we took down were one of the big 5. We'll need everything we need to take out the master of fire, and we'll need to stop him quickly because he's in kahoots with the master of water."

"So? I was able to handle her one on one. She's no threat."

"Last time I checked, I had to poison her in order to keep her from defeating you," Tox, the master of poison whose entire look surrounds the color green, quips.

"Shut up about that! I totally had her! I just needed like...one more minute!"

"Hey, I take it as a win that our team grew. Nova's powers of illusion are going to be great at deception, Thea's power of corruption is just wow, and Skylor's powers, when she discovers them, are going to be just as helpful," Finn, the master of luck with a wavy, black head of hair and blue eyes, flashes me a smile as he says my name.

"God, you'll flirt with anyone in sight. They're way out of your league anyways," Amara, the master of teleportation, slightly glares at him with her brown eyes. "Hey, maybe if you were the master of flirting, you'd actually pick someone up every once in a while."

"You love my flirting, Amara. I'm gonna get through to you one day."

"Keep telling yourself that."

"Okay, but really, why are we here? No way the self proclaimed 'Master of Hotness' is staying in a little beaten town like this. His ego definitely couldn't handle it," the master of form, Chamille, chimes in, referring back to Briar's comment. Looking at the small rundown town, every piece of wood splintering and threatening to attack the next person who touches it, I understand her point.

From what I've heard about him, the master of fire was an absolute egomaniac. His flirtatious nature was even more than Finn's. Not only would he seduce any girl that he deemed "hot", but he would also go around hooking up with said girls without knowing them. He allegedly stopped doing all of that stuff once he "took interest in me", but that was all to play up the act. There's no way a guy who thinks so highly of himself that he behaves like that would ever come to a town like this.

"The masters of water and fire crossed through this village not too long ago while looking for the next elemental master of creation. The hope is that they left some clue about where they were going. Then, we'll catch up to them and capture at least one of them. If we come back empty handed, the boss will be furious. All we need is one, preferably one of the big 5," Neuro explains.

"Well, we better get going then. Time is scarce," Finn flips down from the tree, landing on his feet and immediately looking back up at Amara. "You see that?"

"I saw your powers kick in at the last second. You were pretty much gonna land on your head before your body suddenly jolted upwards. You're like a cat. I swear. It's impossible for you to not land on your feet," she shakes her head, normally jumping down next to him.

"Well if I'm a cat, you're my purrfect match," he winks at her, and I see a slight falter in her expression, the corners of her lips momentarily rising.