Chapter 38 Thea

"Oof!" I gasped as I flew across the cave and slammed into the wall. My lip cracked open and blood sputtered onto my hand.

"You got quite a bit more bite in you these days, don't you?" Berlin laughed, kicking me once in the ribs. I rolled over and groaned in pain before sitting up. I used the cave wall to brace myself as I stood.

"Cheeky, you might say." I smirked a bloody smile. Berlin snarled at me. He punched me square in the eye and I bashed my head against the cave wall for the umpteenth time.

"Bloody hell." I grumbled, squinting as my eye immediately started to swell up.

"Having fun?" A female voice joined the party.

I blinked rapidly, trying to focus on the visitor. She was incredibly short and had the round face of a child. Her hair was short and pixie-like. She had an uncomfortable aura about her that told me she was a witch.

"Awh, this must be the witch." I said, earning another hit from Berlin.

"She looks awful already." The witch snickered.

"Did you need something? I paid you, you're supposed to be gone." Berlin looked annoyed at the girl.

"The Archers and the wolves are looking for me. You didn't say there would be so much heat. You didn't say she was an Archer and a Luna." The witch looked pissed.

"Change your face, make yourself invisible, go hide in another realm, I don't care! Just get out of here." Berlin shouted, stomping out of the cave and seeming to forget about me for the moment.

"You surely know how to put him in a swell mood." The witch said to me.

"Oh, yeah, well, you know, we're just having a good laugh." I huffed sarcastically, "Where did he go?"

"Who knows? And don't you go getting any funny ideas. I don't need him as an enemy, I will stop you." The witch's eyes glowed for a second before her childlike face returned.

"I would never dream of it." I lied. I so lied.

I casually started pacing around the cave, not letting on to the witch that I was moving closer and closer to her. She kept blabbering on about her distaste for Berlin while I nodded and commented when necessary.

She turned her back and looked outside the cave, trying to find Berlin. I took that as my opportunity. I only had one chance at this, and it had to be swift and clean. I grabbed a hold of her from behind, wrapping my hand around her mouth so she couldn't scream and gripping her head with my free hand. I yanked her backwards and dropped to the ground to get more traction. I closed my eyes and used all of my strength, twisting my arms until the witch's neck cracked.

She dropped to the ground, a sack of dead weight. I gasped and stepped away from her, breathless. In all my years, in all my kills, that was my very first time snapping someone's neck. I picked up her body and dragged her out of the cave. I looked behind me and saw that, once I was outside of the cave, I could no longer see it.

The cave was invisible. Great, no wonder nobody could find me.

I snarled and stomped towards Berlin, dumping the witch's body at his feet.

"What have you done?" Berlin sounded annoyed.

He was standing in a grassy field, the grass up to his waist, staring down at the dead witch.

There was a horrible creaking noise and then Berlin was looking behind me. I glanced over my shoulder and noticed that the cave was now visible. The witch was dead and her spell was gone.