Chapter 27 Xaiver

Twelve hours later, we arrived at Alpha Sal's pack in northern Maine. This leg of the trip was definitely more pleasant than the first half. Thea and I were able to converse much more easily and, if I dare say, she laughed much easier, too.

It was past 10 o'clock at night by the time we arrived at Alpha Sal's packhouse. It was a modest sized wooden lodge with hundreds of small cabins scattered all around the woods. I guessed that the members lived in individual homesteads and that the packhouse was only for official business and visitors, maybe the ranked members as well. The pack was buried deep inside the woods, covered by tall and ancient looking trees; red oak, white oak, cedar, pine, juniper, and fir.

Despite the hour, we were promptly greeted at the front door by two members of the staff. They ushered us inside and into an office. A few minutes later, the man I assumed was Alpha Sal, entered. He was true to his lore, a tall, looming man with long dark hair and an even thicker looking beard.

If rumors were true, and they often were about these things, Sal was over a hundred years old at this point. He started the Warrior Pack of Maine when he was a teenager with the goal of training up strong, elite Alphas, Betas, Gammas, and Warriors. When the realm rose up, Alpha Sal was held in high esteem by the royals and granted knightship. Sir Alpha Sal, as it were. His curriculum was used to create dozens of other Warrior packs as well as being the template for the Archer's training program.

With the stories of Alpha Sal came tals of war and bloodshed, a merciless man they say, which is why I couldn't help but stare as his hearty laugh filled the room. Thea grinned and jumped up, throwing herself at the Alpha for a jolly hug. Right now, in his sweats and untamed hair, he looked like a werewolf Santa Clause.

"So good to see you, little red." Sal chuckled, ruffling Thea's hair. She whined and swatted at his hand,

"Thanks for calling, Sal." She smiled, "This is Alpha Xaiver Valor of Valor Moon in Florida." She motioned towards me. I stepped up and shook his head,

"Pleasure to meet you, Alpha Sal, I've heard a lot about you."

"Oh Goddess, if it's from Thea, it's all lies." He laughed strangely.

"Now, now, Sal." Thea teased him.

"Red, I put you up in your old cabin. Still how you left it, of course." Sal said, "Have you still got the key?"

Thea tugged a chain from around her neck and pulled it out from under her shirt. The silver chain had two bronze keys and a red pendant dangling from it.

"Course I do. I can't believe you left it the same, you old fool." Thea shook her head causing Sal to burst into another fit of laughter.

"Come up for breakfast tomorrow. Most of the others should be here by then and we can start." Sal said, clapping Thea on the back once before walking off.

"Come on." Thea grabbed my hand and drug me from the office.

She skillfully navigated the packhouse, back out the front door, and across the yard. She took me down criss crossing sidewalks until we ended up at a cabin in the back of the ground. She pulled off her necklace and unlocked the door, pushing it open and stepping inside.

"This is where I lived when I was here." She said, switching on the lights.

The cabin was well maintained, as if someone was still living there. We entered into a small living room with a couch, wood burning fireplace, and a TV hanging above the mantle. Off to the left was a kitchen with all the necessities. A door was slightly ajar, showing off a full bathroom. Next to the bathroom, were a set of stairs.