Chapter 28 Thea

I managed to sneak out of bed without waking Xaiver, or Cain, honestly I wasn't sure which was in control at this point. I was starting to think something else was controlling me at this point as well. It's the only thing that would explain my behavior of late. I crept into the shower, surprised I managed to do so without waking Xaiver. He was snoring away, his face shoved into the pillow I traded for my body, his arms clinging to it like it was a lifeboat and he was adrift at sea.

I showered and dressed quickly in a pair of long maroon leggings, combat boots, a black tunic that covered my butt, and a black leather jacket. I braided my hair down my back and silently left the bathroom. Xaiver was still snoring. I shook my head at him as I hurried down the steps and out the front door. I was sure I'd hear about this later.

It was 3:30 and I was the first one to enter the packhouse. It wasn't abnormal for me to be awake, in the packhouse kitchen, before anyone else. It was something I often did during my time with Alpha Sal. I brewed a strong pot of coffee and poured it into a travel mug. Popping the lid on, I wandered out of the kitchen and bumped squarely into someone.

"Lion?" I was shocked, "You're awake?"

"I got the sense that my Luna was running amuck." He laughed, tapping me on the top of my head like a child.

"Really?" I cocked an eyebrow at him, looking him up and down.

"I live to serve." He mocked me, "Where's Alpha?"

"Still asleep. I snuck out."

"Naughty, naughty." Lion tsked.

"Coffee?" I sighed, walking back into the kitchen.

By 6 o'clock, the packhouse was much more alive and several pots of coffee were brewing now. The kitchen was bustling with familiar and unfamiliar faces, an absurd number of dominant males sucking the life out of the air as they competed silenting with each other. After a while, I couldn't stand it anymore and I left, Lion hot on my heels.

The grounds were awake as well with morning training. There were about twelve wolves sparing on the grounds, the tributes for Alpha Sal's position, I assumed. The rest of the pack was empty, sent home on holiday or vacation while the trials were being conducted.

"That can't be Kol and Kade Hayes?" I gasped as I caught sight of the red headed boys. The turned around and grinned,

"Thea?" They said in unison. I nodded and greeted them each with a hug.

"Little Thea Greyback." A man with salt and pepper brown hair walked up behind his sons,

"Alpha August." I laughed, offering him a hug as well.

"Not anymore, not for a long time." August chuckled, "Not since Kade took command."

Alpha August Hayes of the Crescent Moon pack in Rhode Island. The first Alpha to connect with the packs of the four corners, the Alpha who took a wolf-less Luna without pause. Luna Josephine bore his three children, Kade, Kol, and Kassidy. Fifteen years ago now, Kade took command of Crescent Moon with Kol as his Beta. Kassidy became the Luna of the Silver Moon pack along with her mate, another legacy, Shepherd Landry.

All three were trained here, under Alpha Sal, just as Alpha August was trained here before them. They were ten years older than me, but came back to the pack often as guest trainers. Of course, my father and August were good friends and, thus, the Hayes and Greyback families remained close. In fact, most of the children of the legacy families were trained here.

"I shouldn't be surprised that you all were called here as well." I said.

"And your father?" August asked, looking around.