Chapter 22 Thea

We were back in the car and on our way to Virgina, where we would stop at a hotel for the night. We only had about five more hours to go, but I was sure I would throw myself out the window before then. I had never endured such an awkwardly silent car ride in my life, and I knew it was probably all my fault. After a while, Xaiver cleared his throat,

"How about a game?" He suggested and I turned towards him, cocking an eyebrow.

"A game?"

"Yeah, you know, a fun activity?" He mocked me and I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, I know what a game is." I mumbled.

"Just checking." He shrugged.

"What sort of game?" I asked hesitantly, not sure that I really wanted to know.

"Twenty questions." He declared.

"Twenty...." I started, but Xaiver interrupted me,

"Twenty questions, yes. Haven't you played before?" He asked, glancing at me quickly before returning his gaze to the road.

We were on a major, four lane highway speeding along with the rest of the traffic. It was past midday now, on a Tuesday, so the highway was congested and, according to all the red lines on the GPS, it was only going to get worse. I sighed,

"No, I haven't heard of it." I confessed.

"Well, it's rather self explanatory. We each ask the other person twenty questions, taking turns. We have to answer honestly." He explained.

"What if I don't want to answer a question?" I asked and he shot me a cocky crooked grin,

"Not an option. You have to answer. Those are the rules." He said,

"Oh? And who will officiate these rules?" I huffed in annoyance.

"Me, of course."

"But, between the two of us, I'm the only one certified to make decisions on behalf of the royal family." I smirked at him with my chin pointed proudly in the air.

His arrogance disappeared for a fraction of a second before his stupid grin returned.

"True. But, here, in this car, I'm the expert on the game and, therefore, the authority." He pretended to fix his imaginary tie with a snobby expression. I stifled a laugh, not wanting to give him the satisfaction.

"Fine, whatever. You start." I grumbled, crossing my arms in defeat. Xaiver laughed out loud at his victory.

"I'll start with an easy one, then. What's your favorite book?" He asked and I glanced over at him again.

"There's not much time for reading." I said and Xaiver frowned.

"That's not an answer." He said and I grumbled at him under my breath.

"Fine, I have read a few. I suppose I rather liked The Three Musketeers." I replied. Xaiver looked at me with a strange expression.

"The Three Musketeers?" He asked with a chuckle.

"Yes, what's wrong with that?" I snapped defensively and he quickly shook his head.

"Nothing, my dear." He said, "It's your turn to ask a question." I leaned back in my seat and thought for a moment before asking,

"Okay. What do you like to do besides running a pack and tormenting innocent Archers?" I sneered. Xaiver laughed at me again, unfazed by my jab.

"Well, there's the obvious. I like to train and let Cain out for a run. Besides that, I like poetry." His answer surprised me.