Chapter 14: The Performance

No One's pov

Sleep was far away from Tine. He kept pacing around his place killing time. The horrifying and troubling scenarios his mind was imaging with respect to his stepmom were making it hard for him to settle at one place. It was past 4 am in the morning and his flight was to leave at 7 am. He did call Type and his dad multiple times but neither of the two answered it adding to his restlessness. Now all he wanted was to reach to them as soon as he could.

'Won't be able to join you today at the event. Have to go home urgently. Don't call please. I will contact you on my own.'

He texted Fong who he knew would keep on calling him if he didn't see him in the college premise. They had promised Mil that they would be there to support him during the competition but that looked seemingly impossible now.

He dropped Mil a text next which read-

'Sorry to disappoint you Mil but due to an unavoidable issue, I need to go out of town hence I won't be able to come and cheer for you. All the very best. I know you will give a fantastic performace.'

He then went to washroom to freshen up and got dressed. Just when he was done with making himself a strong coffee to get rid of the tiredness he was feeling due to lack of sleep, his mobile beeped. Assuming it to be Fong or Mil, he glanced at the screen. It was from Type.

'I just saw your calls. Sorry I missed them as I was damn tired with the badminton practice yesterday and hence slept earlier. Hope you are fine.'

Tine definitely wasn't expecting that Type would reveal whatever was going on there in a text message but that he would blatantly lie about it was something that Tine felt offended with. He kept his disappointment a bay and called Type.

"Hello..."

"Hi... How are you?"

It took Type few seconds to compose himself and answer, "I am fine... just a bit tired due to the practice."

"Is that all?" Tine questioned instantly failing to hide his irritation at the younger's attempt of fooling him.

"What...what do you mean by that?"

"Leave it. I even called Dad after my call ended abruptly yesterday but just like you he too didn't call back. Don't tell me he too was busy with playing badminton at midnight."

Type feared lying any further but he just couldn't go against his mother's decision to not involve Tine in their issues that he had to do it.

"It's not like that. Dad just left for Malaysia just a while ago for some urgent business meet. He just got to know of it last night and hence he too slept early... So he might have kept his mobile at silent mode.'

Tine just couldn't believe how Type replied to him quite confidently. By now he was sure that his dad too was involve in it and they didn't really want him to know anything. How did he get this far from his dad that he thought it wasn't even important for him to know if their family was undergoing some issue?

"Quite strange of him! He didn't really tell me about any such meeting during the call."

"Told you na... he got to know of it quite late... I will ask him to call you back okay... Don't worry about dad and take..." Tine had enough of Type's act, he overlapped with his words replying with a harsh tone, "Don't try to be oversmart. I don't need you to be my mediator. He is my dad and I can contact him on my own. So keep your fake act to yourself."

"I seriously didn't..."

Before Type could say anything to calm Tine, the latter dropped the call and cancelled his air-ticket next.