Chapter 13: The Start of a New Life

Naruto stood in front of the Dragon's desk in his Anbu gear. It had been a few days since the attack and Naruto's classmates, team Gai and their senseis were bothering him with questions.

Ever since he revealed Kitsune's identity to them, they've been going to his office demanding answers.

He finally gave in and called for Naruto through his Anbu tattoo.

Since Naruto thought it was a mission, he put on his gear but when he knelt in front of Dragon, he realised it was something else.

Dragon telling him to rise, Naruto stood up and looked around confusingly.

The commander told him to take off his mask and when he did, Dragon told him to explain his rank and why he became Genin.

Naruto's POV

I knew this was coming but I couldn't help myself from sighing.

"Hello, as you already know, my name is Uzumaki Naruto. It isn't my full name but it's confidential.

You probably figured it out that I'm an Anbu. My code name is Kitsune and I'm the taichou of team Ro.

The reason I became Genin is because I got a mission. That mission was to protect Sasuke because people would target him for his Sharingan.

I would continue this mission until he becomes Chunin and since he is now the rank of Chunin, this mission has ended. I'm sorry for lying to all of you." I explained as I dipped my head at the last sentence.

Team seven knowing what this means, looked sad even though they knew it would happen someday.

Sasuke asked a bit angrily, "So you'll leave team seven? Just like that?"

"..."

"Sasuke, Naruto has been an Anbu for a long time. He-"

"Kakashi-nii, it's fine..." I said guiltily.

Dragon-sama decided to change the subject as it would eventually go downhill if the current conversion continues.

"You've all been told an S-class secret. You should know this information is confidential and if you tell anyone, there will be consequences so I ask you to please keep this conversation inside this room."

Everyone turned their attention to the Anbu and nodded.

Feeling like this would be a good way to end the meeting, he thanked them for their time and dismissed them.

...

I walked through the streets of Konoha. My rank was revealed two days ago and Sasuke's been distant since. I felt bad but I didn't know how to get closer to him. I've also been thinking of how to voice my decision to Dragon-sama but I can't find a way.

"I would just tell him if you ask me." Kurama helped.

'Easy for you to say. Randomly telling him wouldn't be good. I've served the Anbu for eight years after all.'

He sighed. 'Why did this need to get so complicated?'

I stopped at training ground seven. Sasuke and Sakura were getting trained by Kakashi there.

When I walked up to them, Sasuke says, "Naruto? Why are you here? I thought you'd be taking Anbu missions."

Sakura elbowed him for being petty and greeted me while doing so.

"Sasuke, I never said I was going to leave team seven."

"You said your mission ended."

"I did say that but I didn't say I'd continue being an Anbu."

He looked shocked but if you looked closely, you could see the sparkle in his eyes.

I went closer to him and said, "I'd never leave the people I care for." While smiling.

Sasuke's eyes softened at me and he leaned forward but an oblivious Sakura interrupted by saying, "That's great! We thought you were going to just leave us!"

I chuckled while Sasuke grunted for ruining the moment.

I felt a burn on my arm arm so I told my teammates and sensei, "Sorry but I got to go, Dragon-sama is calling me."

"I thought you quitted the Anbu?" Sasuke asked.

"I did, I jus didn't tell Dragon-sama yet..."

Kakashi deadpanned and said, "That means you're still an Anbu, Naruto."

"It doesn't matter!" I pouted which made Sasuke turn into the shade of his favourite food.

I quickly left after that so I won't make Dragon-sama wait too long.

On the way, Kurama thought of an opportunity to tell dragon about quitting being an Anbu and suggested, "Kit, you could tell him now."

'What do you mean?'

"Dragon is calling for you. It's probably a mission so just say you can't do it and tell him why."

'It isn't the best idea but it's better than nothing I guess. Thanks.'

"No problem,"

I sunshinned to Dragon-sana's office. He was going to say something but I interrupted which broke one of the many rules so I was hoping I wouldn't get in trouble.

"Dragon-sama," He looked confused but he let me continue.

"I'm sorry for interrupting but I've been wanting to tell you something."

I took off my mask and said, "I'm quitting being an Anbu."

"I respect your opinion but may I ask why?"

"My mission was to guard Sasuke and on that mission, I've made friends and found love and I don't want to abandon those so easily. Please let me rejoin team seven as a Genin."

Dragon-sama nodded and said, "I understand, Naruto. You'll rejoin team seven as an elite Jonin and work with Kakashi as their senseis.

"Thank you, Dragon-sama," I bowed.

"I should be the one thanking you. You have served us well.

My final order as your commander is to continue your work in the light and make a name for yourself. You will never be forgotten,

Konoha's Kitsune."